D24T.com

D24T.com (http://d24t.com/index.php)
-   Diesel Engine and Drivetrain (http://d24t.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   timing tools source? (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=162)

Jason 12-02-2009 07:30 PM

timing tools source?

Hey Guys,
looking for some timing tools, I have the vw ones but I am going to need the crank holder for torqueing the bolt. I looked at Baum tools and couldn't find it, I had heard they used to make it. Anyone know where to get one, or do you have one that you can supply me measurements off so I can make my own? I have a full machine shop at my disposal.

I already have the counter hold tool for the cam sproket as far as I can tell its the same damn thing as the vw diesel on I made for a 4 cyl.

Jason

v8volvo 12-02-2009 09:06 PM

The crank holder is Volvo p/n 9995187 or 9995188, can't remember which but I'll look tomorrow. They are available new through Rotunda for very reasonable prices. The cam holder for example only costs about $38. It would cost you a lot more than that in wasted time to try to make one yourself... I have a special number for Rotunda that I will PM you once I look it up, otherwise they will not sell to private individuals.

v8volvo 12-02-2009 09:07 PM

Or it might be worth paying a visit to the service dept of your local Volvo dealer.... odds are they might have a stash of old diesel tools laying in the back somewhere that they have not used in 15 years and would be glad to give you.

Jason 12-03-2009 05:19 AM

I may try the dealer thing... Don't know how good the chances are out here since they pretty much didn't sell any in the mid west to begin with.

I already have the cam counter hold, so really all I need is the crank tool. Other than that, the only tool I don't have would be the tension gauge, but I can compair to my car and get it right I think. I have done a few vw diesels and know what is too tight.

Jason

jbg 12-03-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v8volvo (Post 1441)
The crank holder is Volvo p/n 9995187 or 9995188, can't remember which but I'll look tomorrow. They are available new through Rotunda for very reasonable prices. The cam holder for example only costs about $38. It would cost you a lot more than that in wasted time to try to make one yourself... I have a special number for Rotunda that I will PM you once I look it up, otherwise they will not sell to private individuals.

I'll second the recommendation on using Rotunda. They have very good prices and the tools are direct from Volvo -- or from the OE supplier used by Volvo. I got the camshaft gear counter holder and "bent" camshaft gear wrench a few months ago from them. Very helpful on the phone too!

Jason 12-06-2009 09:07 PM

Tasca actually lists the crank counter hold tool as available. They are selling it for $90. I would be interested in whatever info you can give me on getting it through Rotunda if its more reasonable.

Jason

Grubby 08-03-2010 01:09 PM

Rotunda tools or other tool source?

Quote:

Originally Posted by v8volvo (Post 1441)

I am looking for the crank holder as well. Sounds like Rotunda is only available as business to business. Can you help me find it?
Thanks.

RedArrow 09-19-2015 06:08 PM

TB tools

Quote:

Originally Posted by v8volvo (Post 1416)

Interested (tool 9995187 and 9995199).
May ask about #9995188 wrench for the center bolt +
Tool #9995199 (camshaft gear wrench) +
#9995202 idler puller if still available. Thank you.

RedArrow 09-26-2015 03:18 PM

+

+ `bent` wrench Volvo #9995201

v8volvo 09-29-2015 01:46 PM

Hmm, well, be aware that it has been the better part of a decade since I made that post and quoted that pricing and availability as it was told to me then, so 1) I don't know whether Rotunda still sells these tools or what their prices may be and 2) it'll take me a while to figure out where I have that phone number written down now, assuming it even still works. If you're committed to doing this let me know and I'll start digging through the hard drive and paperwork, but no promises on when or if I'll find it -- many moves and other things have happened since that old post was written. ;)

I think Mike Rausch (Volvoist) was selling a number of these recently, including the crank counterhold (5187). Those are also fairly common in general, keep an eye on ebay, etc. The 5187 is the only tool that is absolutely critically necessary on a 740; everything else you can get by with other stuff if you have too. The 5202 idler puller you can easily adapt a pilot bearing puller with a bolt to accomplish what the factory tool does... the 5199 counterhold is widely available still or, on a 740, there's usually enough room to get behind the rear cam pulley with a generic sprocket counterhold tool too. The 5201 wrench is a nice one to have but you can get by quite easily without it if the rear bolt wasn't last installed by a gorilla... or if it was, that's probably the easiest tool in the whole set to fab a homemade replica for.