D24T.com

D24T.com (http://d24t.com/index.php)
-   Performance and aftermarket (http://d24t.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Running more boost? Get rid of that leaking POS dump valve... (http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=101)

Jason 09-29-2009 07:10 PM

Running more boost? Get rid of that leaking POS dump valve...

Hey Guys,
I have been trying to find what I thought sounded like a boost leak for a while. I thought it was at the manifold inlet, then I was thinking I blew out the gasket at the head. I finnaly found it to be the boost dump valve. I had originally plugged the outlet and it was ok. As time has gone on, it seemed like the turbo didn't spool as well and there was a different sound from the engine off boost. Rather than the nice whistle is was a whooshing sound. Anway, I found it to be leaking between the valve and manifold, so I siliconed the O-ring and that helped a bunch, but there was still noise. Upon closer inspection, it was leaking boost from the seam where it is assembled. I decided to remove it and installed a 1.5" rubber plumbing cap with clamp that I got from home depot. WOW what a difference. The turbo spools better than it ever has, and actually isn't too bad at all even with the large .63 a/r hot side I still have. This would be one of the first things I would remove if you plan to run more than stock boost!

Jason

volvo d6 09-29-2009 11:40 PM

Can`t you use a na intake? I am giong to do that when i are going to fit a intercooler.

MRDART 09-30-2009 05:35 AM

The intake from the D24TIC does not have this blow off valve but the N/A intake is more estetic...

IceV_760 09-30-2009 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDART (Post 868)
The intake from the D24TIC does not have this blow off valve but the N/A intake is more estetic...

Remember, they never imported cars with D24TIC to USA.
Or are you even from USA?

Anyways, its consideres at N/A intake manifold is slightly better in terms of
air flowing, BUT, since its turbo, it doesnt count like any after all.
Im going to add IC too with N/A manifold.

But tip: i dont know is there difference between the height of 200- and 700-series N/A intake manifolds, but ive fitted mine manifold from 200-series D6,
and it is really close to bonnet, think i have to cut piece from my bonnet cover.
Will see.

volvo d6 09-30-2009 08:09 AM

Thats not a problem. Volvo 700-900 came with d24 without turbo.

MRDART 09-30-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceV_760 (Post 869)
Remember, they never imported cars with D24TIC to USA.
Or are you even from USA?

Anyways, its consideres at N/A intake manifold is slightly better in terms of
air flowing, BUT, since its turbo, it doesnt count like any after all.
Im going to add IC too with N/A manifold.

But tip: i dont know is there difference between the height of 200- and 700-series N/A intake manifolds, but ive fitted mine manifold from 200-series D6,
and it is really close to bonnet, think i have to cut piece from my bonnet cover.
Will see.

I live in Sweden!!!
Didnīt know they never imported it to the US, but then again the 940 series with d24tic was never sold here in sweden either ;-)

Oh right now Iīm in Norway doing a course on an american product....

volvo d6 09-30-2009 09:03 AM

Here in norway is all 940 d24tic and the most of them have automatic transmission. The 940 d24 is usual luxury cars here.

Jason 09-30-2009 09:16 AM

I'm working on getting a NA manifold, when it gets here I'll be doing the intercooler install.

Jason

volvo d6 09-30-2009 10:09 AM

I have a few of these na intakes. They are esay to get.

IceV_760 09-30-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDART (Post 871)
I live in Sweden!!!
Didnīt know they never imported it to the US, but then again the 940 series with d24tic was never sold here in sweden either ;-)

Oh right now Iīm in Norway doing a course on an american product....

Sorry for bad writing, the ".. live in usa?" question was meant to MRDART,
not to you.