PDA

View Full Version : Remanufactured D24T

Hecklebone
03-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Anyone know where I can find a rebuilt D24T?
Barring that, where could I get one rebuilt in the states?
Thanks....

anders
03-08-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure of a builder for these engines. I had a hard time finding a rebuilder for the cylinder head. I'm currently building two engines myself and I will have $2000 or so tied up in each just for machine work and parts (KS pistons, bearings, valves, gaskets, head studs, injectors, timing belts, water pump, thermostat, ect...) then there is all the time spent on matching rod lengths and balancing, ring gap and bearing clearances, gasket matching and mild porting on cylinder head.

All the time spent on matching/balancing/porting is well worth it though.. That's why any engine that I need to do any type of rebuild on will get this treatment.

Do you have the time/tools/knowledge to do it yourself? You may not need any machine work on your block and crank( every crank I have seen has been in spec as far as finish and sizing)

v8volvo
03-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Chris Bogue in Portland, OR used to do a lot of them and his always seem to be good runners. Many of them still on the road in the Northwest -- anytime he overhauled one he would paint the block a distinctive light blue color, so it is always easy to tell the ones he redid... Don't know whether he is still in the business anymore or not, you might try contacting one of the forum members in the PDX area, a couple of them may know how to get in touch with him.

Otherwise there is nothing overly complicated about rebuilding them for the most part, the only tricky parts that benefit from some specific familiarity are setting timing belt tension and cam/injection timing correctly, which you seem capable to do yourself in any case. Any good machine shop should have no trouble doing the major overhaul work and assembly, especially if they have some familiarity with other VW engines, TDI's etc. All the wear and machining specs are still out there in the books; as long as they are appropriately equipped and knowledgeable with the general type, they don't have to have done a D24T before per se in order to do it right. (Just make sure they don't try to tell you that your cyl head is toast because it has cracks between the valve seats...!) As Anders said you can expect to pay real money for the work and the parts to get it done, but presumably you are already prepared for that if you're looking at going down this road.

You probably will not have much luck finding a rebuilt motor sitting on a shelf somewhere, they're not quite that common... Only guess I would have as far as where to look for one would be to call the Volvo dealer and see if they still sell complete engines on exchange, but I'd be very surprised if they still do any of those, and if one is available, they'll probably want five figures for it.

v8volvo
03-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Just saw your reply in your other thread, sorry, you can ignore my question about why you want to overhaul the whole motor.

If you're curious about seeing if Volvo still sells exchange motors, the Volvo P/N I have for complete D24TIC is 8251347, with alternates 8251147 and 8251047 listed as well, don't know what the differences between those may be, the 1347 is presumably the last superseded version of the motor. Doubt it will get you very far, but maybe there's one or two left in a warehouse somewhere... At the least you may get a laugh out of the Volvo dealer's parts guy, when they hear what you would be putting it in. :)

verdigo
03-19-2013, 06:31 PM
I'll bet you can still get one from Volvo. I just recently had to get a 245 radiator and it came from Sweden. Where are you located