PDA

View Full Version : Finally a 745td for me!

anders
02-26-2013, 08:26 AM
I finally picked up a 745 td. It's the color combo I have been wanting. It's a 1987 740 converted turbo gas model. It looks fairly well done, there is a few things I need to change but its fully functional, glow light, tach, ect. I purchased it non running last night. I towed it home and drove it to work this morning!

745 TurboGreasel
02-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Nice, I've liked black 745s since I was a kid.

ngoma
02-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Congrats! Nice shiny paint! Is that the one with the bad starter/battery?

anders
02-27-2013, 05:38 AM
Yep, its the one that was listed in Edmonds with the dead battery and starter. I got it home, put it on the charger and pulled all the air from the fuel lines. Cranked it over with the slow starter and vroom, she was alive! Drove it off the trailer and then checked everything over.
I drove it a few miles that night and then parked it. It fired up yesterday morning with no issues (other then the slow/worn starter) and I drove it 100 miles without any problems.
I adjusted the valves and injection timing last night.
It's night and day going from my very peppy 244 with the modded D24T to this stock d24T. I will need to do some work to change that. But overall I'm very happy with it.

ngoma
02-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Interesting. How far off were the valve clearances? Were they mostly too tight? What were the symptoms?

anders
02-28-2013, 05:48 AM
It had 2 exhaust valves that were too tight by .10 mm. Not horrible but I wanted to go through and check everything over since I don't know when the clearances were checked last. There was no symptoms as they still fully closed.
I now need to sort out the fuel supply system, the reason I ended up getting this car. It's sounds like it has a history of staring issues because of air getting into the system. I just did a quick fix with a check valve on the inlet side of the filter just to get it off the trailer and into the shop, but it's always started since.
I'm going to run a new hard line from tank to the firewall.
I need to get it up to top notch shape as this will be my daily driver.