PDA

View Full Version : 11 or 12mm pump head

ian2000t
02-14-2013, 04:31 AM
I think I've pretty much maxed out my pump - turning it up any higher doesn't seem to create any more smoke.

I have a spare pump to rebuild with new seals, so I was thinking about upgrading to an 11 or 12mm head at the same time.

Are there any disadvantages to doing this? Does the bigger head have to come from a 6 cylinder donor car? If it does, I don't think there is anything in the UK i could rob that from...

ngoma
02-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Does the bigger head have to come from a 6 cylinder donor car?
Yes, the distribution head needs to have 6 outlets for a 6-cylinder engine; this is where the injector lines connect.

#50 in the diagram below:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/LaneJ/DistributorInjectionPump1.jpg

ian2000t
02-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Right, pretty stupid question then eh? So, where can I get a 11 or 12mm head from? I read in the performance sticky that our pumps run the opposite direction so its hard to find something that will fit.

jeremytap
02-15-2013, 02:55 PM
you should be able to use a cummins pump head out of a 89-93 truck.

Kraftwerk
03-06-2013, 11:36 PM
They are, also, running in the opposite direction...

jeremytap
03-23-2013, 10:41 AM
does it matter that the cummins spins in the opposite direction? as long as he hooks up the lines right it should be fine?

745 TurboGreasel
03-23-2013, 01:26 PM
The fill ports in the Cummins plunger go the wrong way.

Some Scania trucks, and TAMD40 series marine engines might be donors. any pump having an L in the part number.

ian2000t
03-26-2013, 05:08 AM
So am I right in thinking it wouldn't make a difference if you could make some new injector lines up? But making injector lines isn't easy because they need to be steel, not copper due to the pressures involved?

ngoma
03-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Plus they are very thickwall tubing, with difficult to make bell ends.

745 TurboGreasel
03-28-2013, 02:26 AM
So am I right in thinking it wouldn't make a difference if you could make some new injector lines up? But making injector lines isn't easy because they need to be steel, not copper due to the pressures involved?

With a unlimited tractor pull type engine, you might need bigger lines. Generic lines are sold in various metric lengths, and the ends are attached by the end user after bending, but i'm not sure how.

ngoma
03-28-2013, 09:04 AM
So, where can I get a 11 or 12mm head from?
Just found this by accident. How did we miss it before?

Hot rod VE pump parts
http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=240

745 TurboGreasel
03-28-2013, 10:42 AM
You might like this
http://www.ennisproducts.com/catalogs/diesel_injection_components.pdf

Jason
03-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Problem is, finding the specific application and comming up with the part number for either the pump or the head... I have tried contacting a few members on here that have had a 12mm pump built but haven't come up with a for sure head part number or donor pump number. Also, should be noted that every guy I talked to that has run a D24T with a 12mm pump ends up with cracked pistons and a warped/cracked/ruined head... You konw your going to end up turning it up all the way.... Power and boost is addicting!

Jason

ian2000t
04-10-2013, 04:24 AM
Problem is, finding the specific application and comming up with the part number for either the pump or the head... I have tried contacting a few members on here that have had a 12mm pump built but haven't come up with a for sure head part number or donor pump number. Also, should be noted that every guy I talked to that has run a D24T with a 12mm pump ends up with cracked pistons and a warped/cracked/ruined head... You konw your going to end up turning it up all the way.... Power and boost is addicting!

Jason

Haha, yeh I know what you mean - but I think if I could get 200bhp I'd be well happy with that.

What did you use to upgrade yours to 12mm?

3Bar
04-22-2013, 10:53 AM
If you pay attention to EGT's and run enough charge pressure, you should not have any problems. The D24T has more than enough displacement, and the head flows enough to use all a 12mm plunger can provide. Of course as usually suggested, you probably should use an MLS head gasket and studs as well.

I have had a 12mm pump on my car for years, and it is a beast. Zero engine issues, improved mpg, better low end torque, and less smoke for a given power output.

Jason

ian2000t
05-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Can you point me in the right direction of what I would need to upgrade my pump to a 12mm?

Jason
05-21-2013, 06:55 PM
I would still love to build a 12mm pump for my engine, I have two parts pumps in the garage...

3bar, can you provide the part# for the head and rotor assembly thats on your engine that has been working for you, or possibly the pump itself if it was swapped from another engine?

Finding the left hand rotation 12mm head and rotor part number has been difficult. No injection shops around the US know enough about the left hand rotation setups on these pumps... Hotroding a VE pump for a diesel in Europe is alot more common I expect!

Jason

Palmer
06-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Have you guys not tried Dieselmeken from the Superturbodiesel forums? He can make you a 12mm pump with a larger camplate too.