PDA

View Full Version : What clutches are available for higher performance?

Jason
09-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi guys,
from what I've read, the gassers use the diesel clutch as an upgrade. All I have available to me through work is the stock clutch for a turbo diesel. It is a German Sachs clutch... How much power will this hold? What else is available?

Thanks,
Jason

v8volvo
09-23-2009, 07:17 PM
I don't think enough people modify D24Ts with big power for there to be a standard upgrade kit available. The diesel and gas components are different (driven plate, pressure plate, etc) so a Volvo gasser upgrade kit probably won't work.

I bet you could get Centerforce or another performance clutch company to build you a custom setup that would hold a lot of power. Someone recommended Ft Wayne Clutch to me before to have a high-performance setup made. I'm sure all the stuff is pretty normal in terms of size, etc, just so few people have needed to upgrade that there's probably nothing available.

That said, my impression is that the stock clutch in these is pretty hefty. My '85 D24T has exactly 200,000 miles on the original clutch with no slippage. Volvo clutches often last an extremely long time and can stand up to big power increases without complaining, as long as you don't abuse them.

Jason
09-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Thats good to know... Anyone know if there is a different part number for the D24Tic clutch in the Euro spec cars? They were slightly higher hp I was thinking maybe they came with a slightly heavier clutch.

Jason

v8volvo
09-23-2009, 09:32 PM
This is where I usually look when I want to know about parts offerings in Europe:
http://eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/Car-Parts

It's a UK site.

Looking on there, it seems like the answer to your question is no. Searching clutch kits for a 1986 740 D24T, it lists a kit with part number 641660091. When specifying a 1995 940 D24TIC (mmm wish we got those here!!), it lists two available kits, one for a sedan and the other for a wagon... but they both use that same part number as the older D24T car, 641660091. So from what I can tell the Euro D24T and D24TIC use the same clutch components. A Volvo dealer in Europe would probably be the only way to confirm for sure... maybe we can get one of the board members from the other side of the pond to make a phone call and investigate. ;)

As far as I know, the only actual differences between the D24T and D24TIC (aside from intercooler of course) are: heavy-duty "tropical" fan clutch, larger injector nozzles, and different intake manifold. There are other differences, such as an additional timing belt tensioner attached to the front of the head and a hydraulic valvetrain -- but those are just because Euro D24TIC engines are more recent than the D24Ts we got here in the US. By the time they were making the D24TIC, even regular non-IC European D24Ts had the hydraulic lifters and different timing belt setup.

Jason
09-24-2009, 05:40 AM
They may have superceeded the non ic clutch to the ic clutch part number if they came out with a better one. Also, kind of off topic, but I have found through a decent amount of research that the ic engines do not have a larger injector. The last part number of the tip changed as design improvements were made like quieter operation or better combustion. They were apparently a series number from Bosch, which is why they kept going higher, like the 193, than 265, 293, etc. The difference in power is from the intercooler and slightly more agressive pump settings for more fuel.

Jason

IceV_760
09-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Here in european is heavier clutch to tdic engine,
tested to withstand a bit over 350Nm without slideing.

And with two "springplates" and normal massplate, something over 500nm.
But that requires some machinery work. Longer rivets.
Adding "gap-bars" or plate between pressureplate and "speedplate (lol the
one which contains energy engine makes to allow engine roll between
working cycles, if you got my bad englidh, and even worster explanation).

And then you can add of course zinter-plate and stiffer "arrangement" (sorry again), sold by atleast from Sachs.

But, with normal m4x-series gearboxes that is unnecessary,
since you can broke them even with 350Nm that tdic clutch withstands,
when their power enduring aint anymore so fat, 400Nm, and with bad use they can aswell say bye bye with that torque.
Things change if you can get your hand to european clucthcapsule
which will marry m90 and d24x engine together, and there were talking about 500Nm.

Hope that cleared things, just things, not your head when you try to read that^^.

EDIT:about injectors i cant show any facts, but im cerainly pretty sure they are same ones in d24t/ic:s, even they sell
them with different spare-part numbers. No-one have never talked about them being different when theyve upgraded their engines with turbos, intercoolers and so on.

Jason
09-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Well I don't think the tdic clutch would do me much good, since I don't have access to a m90 transmission. I guess it will just be stock.

Jason

m-reg
09-25-2009, 09:50 AM
gassers can use d24 clutch as an upgrade and also use 850/v70 t5 or R type clutch parts so you must be able to mix n match quite a bit on volvo clutches Im sure I saw a thread on bricks that has a good example of what fits what if we find which parts are on d24 ,must be able to sus something out, Have you seen that r sport guy he seems to have a lot of transmission upgrade parts (info @r-sport.org)

volvo d6
09-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I think the the original clutch will work fine. Diesel clutch are strong. On nissan patrol who is tuned and goes much offroad do they use a new original clutch and no one have problems with that.

m-reg
09-26-2009, 04:32 PM
what I was trying to say was if the diesel clutch fit the gasser then it must work the other way round so it must be possible to use at least T5 centre plate then need to sort out which cover would fit the flywheel and have enough clamping force .sorry guys got that web address wrong innit! should be r-sport not r-speed , they make lightened flywheels, and volvo gearbox adaptor plates and race old volvos so should know about clutches even if they never seen an oil burner

cuaz64
09-26-2009, 04:36 PM
what I was trying to say was if the diesel clutch fit the gasser then it must work the other way round so it must be possible to use at least T5 centre plate then need to sort out which cover would fit the flywheel and have enough clamping force .sorry guys got that web address wrong innit! should be r-sport not r-speed , they make lightened flywheels, and volvo gearbox adaptor plates and race old volvos so should know about clutches even if they never seen an oil burner

I tried to say the same thing in the tramissions thread, if a Getrag/T5 transmission can be put behind a gasser M46 bellhousing, you can do it in the diesel too.

Jason
09-27-2009, 06:28 AM
I'll have to look back at the post you put up before Cuaz, I thought you had some links to places with adapters for m46 to t5. That would be easier to find around here, lots of mustangs to pick from, no volvos!

Jason

cuaz64
09-27-2009, 04:30 PM
I'll have to look back at the post you put up before Cuaz, I thought you had some links to places with adapters for m46 to t5. That would be easier to find around here, lots of mustangs to pick from, no volvos!

Jason

I posted them.....:)

axL_
11-21-2009, 07:00 PM
just buy an 22splines sachs 6 puck lammel and use orginal pressureplate

Jason
11-23-2009, 06:39 AM
What is the original application for that clutch? I was looking at clutchnet.com and was thinking the 6 puck for the turbo 4 cylinder model with the turbo diesel pressure plate. I figure since they use the TD pressure plate I should be able to use the 6 puck thats for the 4cyl turbo model with m46. We may be talking about the same plate.

Jason

axL_
11-24-2009, 09:01 PM
gas and diesel has different pressure plates. but orginal should do it. i drive with orginal pressure plate and reinforced 6 puck but it demands al lot of practice to learn 6 puck clutch

Jason
11-27-2009, 05:54 AM
I planned to use the diesel pressure plate. I have heard the gas 4 cyl turbo guys have used the diesel pressure plate as an upgrade, so I'm assuming I can go backwards and use a clutch disc thats sold for their car on the diesel. No one over here lists a performance clutch to fit a D24T!

Jason