PDA

View Full Version : D24t Muffler delete???

myselfnjit
09-21-2009, 06:30 PM
I have an 86 740 TD wagon with 212k and the original muffler!!!

I have got to believe that this thing is just clogged full of soot so I am thinking of taking it off.

Anyone know what size pipe I will need and if it will be loud?
I did this for my TDI and dont even notice a difference except some cool turbo whistle, will this be similar?

thanks
Steve

IceV_760
09-22-2009, 04:21 AM
Well original here in europe is 2 1/4", and i believe its everywhere.
About sounds, i cant tell yet, just doing whole new piping this week, upgrading to 3" with one smallest muffler i could find, and juust because law requires 1 here.

Jason
09-22-2009, 05:29 AM
By the time its all the way out back, it wont be too bad. The sound is kinda like a cummins engine found in the dodge diesel trucks. Check out my videos for what it will sound like, I posted some up in the performance section. I had a larger section of pipe (2.5") going over the axle which made it deeper and louder. If you stick with the stock size it probably wont be too bad. You should throw the stock muffler away for sure though. If it turns out to be too loud for you, make sure to replace it with a diesel straight through muffler only. Regular mufflers from your local muffler shop will clog.

Jason

myselfnjit
09-22-2009, 07:09 AM
so I should get some 2 1/4" pipe a couple of clamps and a hanger.
Cool.

myselfnjit
11-21-2009, 05:08 PM
cut it off today, not really any sound difference.
One question though, what is the muffler looking thing further up the exhaust line, before the rear axel?

IceV_760
11-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Just another muffler.

myselfnjit
11-22-2009, 03:41 AM
should I take it out too? chances are it is pretty clogged up right? that one will be a bit more work though :(

IceV_760
11-22-2009, 04:30 AM
You dont notice really different sound change just by deleting them.
If you want different sounds with little work, take last pipe after axle out,
buy 2,25"-3" muffler, and 0,5m pipe of 3", that changs sounds good.
Or remake whole piping to bigger and with 1 muffler.

myselfnjit
11-22-2009, 08:29 AM
I actually dont want a sound change. I want it as quiet as possible but I thought that maybe these original mufflers were plugged up and hurting my performance. The rear ones bracket rusted off so I just took the muffler off. Would the second one have a chance of also being clogged and nasty? Should I just take it off too?

Jason
11-23-2009, 06:36 AM
I would get rid of it, and if its too loud install a straight through diesel muffler. If you are leaving it stock size and routing it all the way out back I doubt you will notice much difference inside the car. Outside will be louder though.

Jason

v8volvo
11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
On my hot-rod '83, I'm running a straight-through muffler in place of the stock resonator and just a straight pipe out the back from there. It sounds fantastic, but it is quite a bit louder than stock. There was a noticeable difference in power when I removed the rear muffler (cherrybomb in front of the axle was already in place), and it now spools much more readily and at a lower RPM. Using stock size pipe for now.

Jason
11-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Ah yes... One of the things that attracted me to these cars and the engine being vw of course. The sound! Think the stock size sounds cool? 3" turbo back stepped up to 3.5 inch over the axle pipe from a Dodge cummins trucks, stepped to a 4" tail pipe. My vieos don't do it justice! People look over expecting to see a dump truck! I had a friend drive it by and it sounds awesome!

Jason