PDA

View Full Version : hello from Boston area

Wrench Boston
12-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Hello all...just got my d24t forum membership approved! I own a diesel shop in Boston, named just like my member name. Work on a ton of benzes, peugeot and vw diesels, but i picked up this one for myself, and maybe another for parts soon enough. Got an 85 740 GLE wagon with an m46, white with red leather. Possibly my favorite color combination to boot. i bought it from an auction 3 months ago, and it hasnt been driven for 18 years. Got her up and running 2 weeks ago. just needed glow plug relay grounded, a starter which was missing, and a reprime of the fuel system. Came with a gates t belt set and the green books. Only rust is on bottoms of the doors. Already flushed cooling system, changed to synthetic oil, flushed brake system and replaced calipers, drained a full tank of 1994 vintage high sulphur diesel, and conditioned the leather interior. Am installing a Vormax veg kit on it on monday. Very excited to become a member of the d24t community. Thanks for having me!
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/665587_497681653587033_1671803521_o.jpg

v8volvo
12-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Glad to see another diesel tech joining us, and another member from the east coast. Where in the Boston area are you located? I lived for several years in Somerville and Medford and used to travel to the Upper Valley NH often, have family living there. I bought my first Volvo TD when I was living in New England, went up to Bangor, ME to buy it and drove it home to Boston.

Nice looking wagon, was this the one that was on auction in New Hampshire a month or two ago, sitting in a field? The red leather interior is my favorite as well, I have it in my gray '86 745 TD. If it's the one I am thinking it might be, it looks like it cleaned up pretty well! If those timing belts haven't done much turning in the last 18 years, would be a good idea to change them ASAP. Sounds like you saved a healthy one, glad to hear it's back on the road.

Welcome to the board!

Wrench Boston
12-01-2012, 12:44 PM
thanks v8, glad to be had.

My shop is in Hyde Park. I go to Somerville often! Cool little area that is.

This is the one from NH, the Terry Bennett "collection". He had been cornering the market up here on diesels for some time. I went up with a ton of cash thinking i was going to score all those diesels on the cheap, but stuff was out of control. 6 grand for a 96 passat tdi wagon with no dashboard and 225k miles? And no way to hear the cars run before bidding? I always knew i was getting the 745, but i was scared. Ended up bidding against the scrapper and winning for $250 since everyone had spent all thier money by then. That and a 300td with a stick shift and a veg kit for $550. i figured what the heck, the t-belt was on it, no oil in coolant or vice versa...actually no oil leaks to speak of, i would roll the dice and see. TBs mechanic told me it was low compression, but i dont think they tested that with no starter. typical...