PDA

View Full Version : D24T or D24 Cylinder head PLEASE!

anders
11-09-2012, 05:24 AM
I'm in need of a D24T cylinder head that is straight or has less than ten thousands of an inch of warp and has not been machined yet. I'm building an engine right now and I have four heads that are junk...Thanks!

v8volvo
11-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I have a couple heads on hand that might be options for you -- one is a D24T head that is in good shape, straight, but just a bare casting, no valvetrain parts, or cam, though it has the cam bearing caps on it. It would need to be built from the ground up, but the head itself is a good starting point if you are willing to do that work and you probably have plenty of parts to do it from the 4 heads that you already have.

The other head is a D24 head and is more complete and also good and straight, HOWEVER, it's missing the cam and cam bearing caps, meaning that you would need to put different bearing caps on it and then have it line-bored. Not an easy or cheap process, so I'm willing to let this one go for cheap if someone wants to put it to use, because I know it will otherwise never get used by me...

What's wrong with the heads you have now? They can have a little more warp than the book allows and still seal up OK if an MLS gasket is being used, especially with studs.... or they can sometimes be straightened, too. Don't junk em until you have figured out a solution...

anders
11-09-2012, 11:27 AM
One head D24 head has the injector casting on #2 broken off,
Second D24 head is warped .017
I have the D24T head from the blown up motor,.. no saving this one..
The last one is from the crappy rebuilt D24T I have, the one that had .5mm pistons and measured out to 1mm plus. Well that head has been shaved .025 and is warped .009 of an inch still..
I will be keeping them for some reason that they may be useful in the future somehow?..
I would be interested in the bare D24T head, I have plenty of parts! I will send PM/email..

745 TurboGreasel
11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
is there a difference with the 'T head besides which prechambers it has?

anders
11-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Do they have different chambers? I thought the chambers were different from 11mm heads and euro heads (larger volume). I know the D24T heads got sodium exhaust valves and I think the casting may have a different composition then the D24's. All D24's have castings starting with 072 and D24T's start with 075 that I have seen.

v8volvo
11-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Prechambers are the same.

Yeah, I believe D24T has different alloy in the casting, different exh valves, and has an extra cooling system connection on the back of the head for the oil cooler circuit and a blind threaded bolt hole adjacent for the screw that holds the hose nipple into the head. D24 has a little freeze plug in this location instead because no oil cooler on the NA motor.

D24T also has a larger diameter vacuum pump drive pushrod bore and correspondingly fatter pushrod. The skinny D24 pushrod is not compatible. Supposedly some very early production D24T motors still had the skinny pushrod but I have only ever seen them with the larger rod. I don't know if there are any other differences besides these or not.

Nevertheless there is nothing stopping someone from sticking a D24 head on a TD motor, just have to either eliminate oil cooler or convert to redblock style external cooler or knock that freeze plug out and drill/tap the hole to add the connection, and use the D24's vac pump pushrod. Not sure how much good the different alloy really accomplishes, either motor needs to not get too hot, and either head will warp if it does....

745 TurboGreasel
11-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Sounds like my extra motor that had holes in the pan is a D24 with a D24T head and stuff. Runs with he new pan and a pump shaft seal:).
It had new nozzles, but the back one dribbles (and knocks)even after I took it apart twice.

anders
11-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I got one. Thanks V8volvo!