PDA

View Full Version : switch m46 to m47: is it possible??????

sofiene
09-17-2009, 02:57 PM
hi i'am new member i need help
i really need help i have buy a 1984 760gle td with the d24t engine and an m46 transmission and the problem the overdrive don't work and no one here can fix it also i can't find no relay no solenoid to buy it so i ask if i can switch it to an m47 transmission because it is 5 gear without overdrive technologie ... is it possible
please help

Jason
09-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes it is, its pretty much the same transmission but with a real 5th gear.

Jason

sofiene
09-17-2009, 06:15 PM
thank you sir good step for me and i hope i find all the answer because i have many question

v8volvo
09-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Where are you located?

sofiene
09-18-2009, 01:21 PM
well i'am from tunisia sir and about my volvo i hav buy it with about 4000 euro and she was so bad when i bough it so i'am trying to fix every month i do something and i hope i finish it but the all her parts are too expensive

MRDART
09-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Well I would not recomend such a swap for 2 main reasons.
1. M47:ns are much weaker than m46
2. M47:ns does not have the same gear ratio on the tallest gear so your cruising rpm will be higher.

Now does the light for OD/ 5th gear come on when you push the button??
If so it is not an electrical problem.
follow this link it will tell you about th m46

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/OverdriveRebuild.html

If it is only a relay you need i might have one laying around in the general disaster area they call my garage:D:D

sofiene
09-19-2009, 04:30 PM
sir the problem that nothing apear but when the engine is off and i push the button i hear some ticccccc in the solenoid that's all but in the begining when i bought the car the overdrive work some time but i should stay pushing the button or the 5th gear will disengage so i don't undestand it and as i told you no one can fix this problem
i think that i have to rebuild all the wiring diagram of the OD from A to Z

so what you advice me is there any clear diagram that i can understand it please and thank you

MRDART
09-19-2009, 11:10 PM
This is the only schematics I can find of the m46 but it might be to another car...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11353809/El-Schema-M46

But if you hook up a light at the solenoid connection it might be esier for fault isolation.
I think i remember seeing the relay on the gearbox itself on a little bracket somewhere but absolutely not sure about this...
But to me it sounds like you have an electrical problem that should never be a reason for replacing the whole gearbox.....