PDA

View Full Version : Burring engine oil

77volvo245
09-15-2009, 07:45 PM
I been noticing my diesel is burring a lot of engine oil lately. Blue smoke out of the exhaust while letting it warm up. Also faint of blue smoke at idle. I've been using synthetic engine oil in my diesel over a year since I've owned it.

I found out I have a blown HG last weekend:( and right now I'm thinking that is the main cause.

Any ideas?

MRDART
09-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Hmm hard to tell but if you have the head of you could check your cylinder bore wear, also you could check the wear of your valveguides and replace your valveseals.
If you have a turbo I would check it out.
Also check your crankcaseventilation....
That is all I can think about right now....

v8volvo
09-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Checking your compression would tell you a lot about whether it's related to blowby or to other stuff. Most likely it is rings/bore wear.

What grade oil are you using?

Still running good with more power since the major mods we did over the weekend? :p

77volvo245
09-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Checking your compression would tell you a lot about whether it's related to blowby or to other stuff. Most likely it is rings/bore wear.

What grade oil are you using?

Still running good with more power since the major mods we did over the weekend? :p

Right now I'm running Lubro Moly 15W-40 less than 1500 miles ago.

I will check the compression this weekend with my new diesel tools I bought a few weeks ago. ;)

Last weekend the drive up to Seattle my diesel was running normal in 90 degree whether. Then the way back maybe 60 to 65 degrees outside. The temp was way above normal:eek:It would even rise further if I was in OD and I was going 80 MPH:( So I drove all the way back in forth gear. I even pulled over a few times to check the oil level and I was low. It seems the temps will read normal one day and above normal the next.:confused:

I just bought a three notch 1.6mm (.063) HG the other day. I do have that head from that JY diesel and might get that checked out at the machine shop to see how much it would cost to get it rebuilt.

My diesel is my daily driver and never had and serious problems with it so far. Now I'm unsure if I should drive it until I get that new HG on.

v8volvo
09-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Sounds like it wants more revs in order to stay cool. Wonder if the water pump is in OK shape? If its a crappy one the impeller can start slipping on the shaft and provide reduced coolant flow. Driving in 4th should not help it stay cooler if a blown HG is your only problem... if anything that would make it worse, by forcing more air into the cooling system.

Driving it won't hurt it as long as the temp stays in check -- but don't let it overheat, or else your head will be toast.

77volvo245
09-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Here is a cold start video when it's 60 degrees outside. You can see how much blue smoke comming out of the exhuast.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z229/77volvo245/Volvo/th_Picture-1.jpg (http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z229/77volvo245/Volvo/?action=view&current=Picture-1.flv)

77volvo245
09-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Sounds like it wants more revs in order to stay cool. Wonder if the water pump is in OK shape? If its a crappy one the impeller can start slipping on the shaft and provide reduced coolant flow. Driving in 4th should not help it stay cooler if a blown HG is your only problem... if anything that would make it worse, by forcing more air into the cooling system.

Driving it won't hurt it as long as the temp stays in check -- but don't let it overheat, or else your head will be toast.

I`have a Volvo water pump on my diesel.

v8volvo
09-17-2009, 10:39 PM
The smoke is because you don't have a cold start timing advance system. Plain and simple. Even a freshly rebuilt diesel will run rough and smoky without proper timing advance when cold.

You could rig up a manual cable system to control that advance lever, would be better than nothing... but it's really not that hard to get the proper CS system working. A new thermostat costs $60 if that's what was wrong with yours. It's a really nice feature to have... not much money considering how much better the engine works when it is installed and properly calibrated.

v8volvo
09-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Next time you start it up cold, have someone hold that advance lever in the forward (cold) position, then go back and watch the tailpipe. Bet you the blue smoke disappears when the engine gets the timing advance it needs. ;)

Jason
09-18-2009, 04:09 AM
The cable would easy, thats what the vw 1.6 engines had, just a pull lever on the dash. Simple and effective.

The blue smoke in the video was pretty minor, IMO. Hell my Jetta TDI smoked that much or more when cold outside. The volvo... Well lets just say its not the cleanest runner out there!

Jason

Josh
09-18-2009, 11:43 AM
My car smokes twice as much as that, all the time!

MRDART
09-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Yes I would not worry so much about that smoke, just keep your oil and coolant levels topped up and I think you will be alright...:):)

v8volvo
09-19-2009, 06:02 PM
And fix your cold start device. ;)