PDA

View Full Version : Coeurdalene Idaho- New (to me) '84 station wagon and swap

Apabob
07-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Hi everyone,

I just picked up an 84 240 with a blown d24 in it, and a spare to throw in. Im really familiar with the naturally aspirated 1.6L fours in VW rabbits and such, so i believe that will help alot when working on this new ride. Still, it is new territory for me and I would really appreciate any advice i can get.

Im thinking of putting a turbo on this engine before i throw it in... is it much easier if i do it before hand, or can i wait till later ( when ive got the cash for the turbo ) without too many headaches?

Anyway, cool site. looking forward to all that i can learn here.

v8volvo
07-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Welcome! Another member in the Northwest... there are quite a few of us out here, though most of us are out further west in the Puget Sound or PDX areas. Coeur d'Alene is a nice area, I go through there quite frequently as I have family in Missoula MT that I drive out from Seattle to visit.

If you are familiar with the old 1.6D family you will find the theory and basic design and many of the parts in the Volvo similar, but there are enough differences that you will find yourself learning some new tricks nonetheless. Most of the reciprocating and valvetrain and injection system parts are identical, but the engine architecture is quite different (IP driven off a second timing belt on the back of the cam, oil pump driven off the nose of the crank, water pump driven by front timing belt, vacuum pump driven off the cam, different top end layout requiring a different tappet depressor tool although the tappets and shims themselves are the same, etc). They require several special tools and techniques that are different than what you will be used to on a 1.6. They are more tricky in some ways but easier in others, and you will find that they are overall a better put together motor, e.g. more rubber O-ring seals instead of paper gaskets, easier to set timing, cast IP bracket instead of the stamped one that always breaks on the 1.6L motors, longer-lasting timing belt, etc. They are also, of course, much smoother and nicer running than the 4-cylinder versions. :)

Feel free to ask any questions anytime!

Apabob
07-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Awesome, thanks for the overview.
I am really getting into the idea of adding a turbo to this engine, so if anyone has the manifolds for such a project and would like to sell them, let me know!

v8volvo
07-13-2012, 11:44 AM
I have manifolds, turbos, etc aplenty... I could put together a setup for you. You will need more than just manifolds, you also need the oil filter adapter that has the turbo oil feed line, you need to make an oil return to the pan, and to make the most of the turbo you need to have a TD injection pump on there to add more fuel when the boost comes up... altogether not too difficult to do though, several on here have done it successfully.

Send me a PM if you get serious about collecting turbo parts and I will see what I can pull together.

Apabob
07-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Wow, very cool. I did not expect such immediate resources to surface.
I was hoping to be able to turn my existing pumps fuel delivery up enough to support a reasonable amount of boost (7 or 8 psi?)

just figured that would be a good way to keep my initial costs down.