PDA

View Full Version : Where to get steel head gasket

bjs2oo7
09-15-2009, 03:06 PM
I read on alldatapro that the steel head gaskets have holes indicating the thickness instead of notches, I cannot seem to find a steel one anywhere online. Also what thickness should I get, the one that is currently on the motor has two notches, do I get the same thickness? Or do I wait til I measure the head to see if I need resurfacing?

Jason
09-15-2009, 04:26 PM
As far as I know, the only place to get the steel one is through the dealer. You would normally use the same as what you already have, but it cant hurt to measure your piston protrusion first. By the book, you aren't supposed to remachine the head, but I have taken off a few thousands to get a nice smooth surface without any problems. Maybe someone else will chime in here, but I wouldn't go more than .005 off the head, unless you are regrinding the valve seats, then its a different story.

Jason

reed
09-15-2009, 05:19 PM
I purchased mine through the dealer (I work there). It was on back order for a couple of weeks. Look at my post of the service bulletin. Your only option is two or three notches for the turbo motor. Order new head bolts when you order the gasket. DO NOT RE TORQUE THE HEAD FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE SERVICE BULLETIN!!!

Jason
09-15-2009, 06:00 PM
I posted the link to the service bulletin with the part number in the "usefull links" sticky in this forum.

Thanks to Reed for initially posting it up.

Jason

bjs2oo7
09-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Went to the dealership today and they told me volvo never made a steel head gasket, what am I missing?

bjs2oo7
09-16-2009, 10:12 AM
I just called another volvo dealership and they had no idea what I was talking about, so the part numbers are the same, the only difference is there are holes instead of notches. If I order the gasket with notches will I get a steel one?

Jason
09-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Just give them the part number and tell them to order it. They wont know what it is but thats their problem. Volvo replaced the old style gasket with the steel one and used the same part number. Maybe print out the service bulletin that is in the links section and take it with you. Its a pdf you can download it.

Jason

v8volvo
09-17-2009, 06:47 PM
If you have the part number for the gasket you need, you can order it here much cheaper than the dealer:

www.tascavolvoparts.com

Their catalog system sucks but if you have an official part number they can get everything and sell at wholesale prices... usually half of what the stealership charges. ;)

v8volvo
09-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Tasca lists the steel HG for $70. Dealer will want anywhere from $140 to $200...

Jason
09-18-2009, 04:21 AM
George, have you ordered stuff from them? If they are a decent company to deal with post the link in the parts suppliers section.

Jason

m-reg
09-19-2009, 12:09 PM
yeh volvo changed the gasket and only sell the later type but d24s are so old and rare probly no body at dealer knows what one is,just the old guys, now ford owns volvo they dont like keeping parts for old cars so they have to come from special store in sweden could still come in vw packing and cost more though so if you get a factory one it will be steel dont the holes/notches follow the same grade.like 2 holes is 2 notches?

v8volvo
09-19-2009, 06:00 PM
George, have you ordered stuff from them? If they are a decent company to deal with post the link in the parts suppliers section.

Jason

Yep, I bought a D24T right side motor mount from them a few weeks ago (NLA through most other sources, $33 through Tasca, dealer wanted $80!). They were easy to deal with and the part arrived quickly. Put 'em on the list, it is a very useful parts source for stuff that can only be had through Volvo. I use FCP Groton and Autohaus AZ for most other VW and Volvo stuff.

FJ40Jim
02-12-2014, 11:01 AM
I tried the part numbers (9146008-9 or 9146009-7) from the TSB in the TascaParts.com web site. They don't come up now as valid numbers.

Any suggestions for sources for a 3-notch MLS gasket?

I do have a Goetze standard fiber gasket, so it's not like I'm totally out of luck.

anders
02-12-2014, 01:30 PM
You can get a two notch from rock auto, but shipping is $$ as it will be coming from Great Britain.

745 TurboGreasel
02-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Even shipping form EU isn't more than I paid for a fiber Reinz through WorldPac.

FJ40Jim
02-12-2014, 07:52 PM
I already own a fiber gasket. A new fiber gasket is ~$40.

The Payen steel gasket is $48, plus $57 shipping, total of $105. Ouch.

Is it worth it?
I think the forum consensus is yes, but if somebody says no, I'm listening.

745 TurboGreasel
02-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Considering how rarely TDI headgaskets fail vs 1.6en, I'd say yes.
But they do want a smoother finish on the head, and that is a whole nother can o worms.

EDIT; I'd pay $50 just ton to have to scrapr fiber gasket remnants next time....