PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Improvements?

Profpinz
06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
G'Day All,

I've been following this Forum for some time and gained some interesting insight into the D24TIC engine, but it's come to the time when I need to start rebuilding the motor and as I haven't got a turbo at present (it was missing off the motor) I have the opportunity to either go standard or upgrade.

Now first off I should say that I DON'T have a Volvo, rather an Austrian 718 Steyr Puch Pinzgauer. These "second generation" Pinzgauers used the VW D24T or TIC motor from 1985 to early 2000 after which time the VW 2.5 5 cylinder was fitted.

My 718 has a D24TIC which originally had a Garret 454007-1 T3 (VW 072145703B) fitted.

My options are to buy an old T3 of the same type and rebuild it (or buy a refurbed unit), fit a upgraded unit (a T4 possibly, but this is the main area that I'm open to suggestions) or there is a company in Europe selling Variable Geometry Turbo's for the vehicle (a pretty expensive option I'm guessing).....I'm unsure what the best options are given that I want a reliable, and relatively economical vehicle fuel wise (it will be used for lond distance touring).

My knowledge of both diesels and turbo's (never having rebuilt vehicles with either before...air-cooled petrols are my forte 8-)) is minimal so I though you guys who obviously know far more about thses things than I do might be able to give me some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
06-23-2012, 02:39 PM
I would stick with the stock size turbo or a small trim T3 to keep the low end spool up and low end torque characteristics... A larger turbo will have more flow potential and be able to push more boost and make more power up top, but in a heavy vehicle thats going to be used for what your saying, the smaller turbo will suit your use better. Fit a low restriction exhaust of some kind, and turn up the pump slightly, install some GTD or 293 injectors and you will be happy with the performance I would expect. Good luck with the build and by all means post up some pictures of this beast!

Jason

Profpinz
06-26-2012, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the information....much appreciated!
I think given your advice and my research, a standard T3 is the way to go.
A low restriction exhaust is definitely on the cards and given the vehicles engine/driveline layout quite a simple thing to do. A virtually straight 800mm pipe links the turbo to the muffler which then exits out to the side. A nice 50-62 mm diameter exhaust should suffice.

As regards the injectors my motor has 068130202G units fitted .... I'II have to check how these compare to those you suggested.

Below are a few pics of the vehicle....initially as it was purchased then a few of the motor of course and one of removing the platform from the driveline.....the Pinzgauer has a backbone chassis unique to all but a few vehicle manufacturers.
The beige Pinzgauer is not mine but what my 718 will look like after the rebuild.

Profpinz
06-26-2012, 04:01 AM
A few more pics of the rebuild....First off, moving the "new" Pinny in behind my previous project (it took 13 years to restore the 712....it has a 4 cylinder, 2.7 litre air-cooled petrol which has individual cylinders and cylinder heads).
Then lifting off the platform and getting the chassis components back from the zinc plater/powdercoater.
The last pic is of the motor bottom end of course....I had the oil tested and all was OK with the motor and a "plasti guage" inspection showed all was within spec so now I just have to look at the top end, turbo etc. I intend to fully clean and rebuild the whole motor, but it's nice to know I don't have to rebuild/replace, bottom end componentry.

michaelovitch
06-29-2012, 02:58 AM
The oil pan is a VW one that's funny.
heat shields ,accessories like the steering pump,fuel filter bracket are VW too.

except the cold start device.

Very nice build

is it stock or you mixed parts ?

Profpinz
07-11-2012, 04:32 AM
As stock as I can make it :D

Profpinz
07-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the advice Jason....... I purchased a NOS standard factory turbo so in the not too distant future hope to get onto rebuilding the motor.

Hecklebone
01-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Hi ProfPinz,

How is your Turbo project going?
I am in Denver, and i have a 1987 Pinzgauer 718 with the D24TIC setup.

I just cannot seem to get enough power, especially at altitude (11,000 ft). I suspect fitting a slightly larger AR turbo would help it breath a little better...there would be lag, but it would eventually get going.

Cheers,
Rob.

v8volvo
01-04-2013, 11:50 PM
I have driven a D24T through the Rockies and it also struggled above about 9000'. It moved OK once it was rolling but getting started from a dead stop was a slow and smoky affair.

I think for high altitude operation a VNT setup would be the only thing able to get things spinning early enough in the rev band while still allowing enough airflow at the top end. Even for a regular station wagon when the air is thin the engine just bogs at low RPM when trying to get moving up a hill. I can't imagine how it would be trying to haul an extra couple thousand pounds of truck.

What kind of gearbox do you have in your Pinz? I've had both automatic and standard shift Volvo turbodiesels at high altitude and the automatic was much easier to use with the engine in its compromised state, since the TC allowed enough slip to get the engine speed up high enough where the turbo started to help when moving off. The manual shift car was impossible unless you slipped the clutch. If you have an automatic or some kind of low-geared standard gearbox that allows you to get the engine wound up right away, then a larger turbo would possibly help but at low revs you're just going to have that much more air to move and you may be trading top end power for low end response in a big way. (As you know these have plenty of lag even the way they are stock!) Seems like a VNT is the only way to have it all.... I got one off a Jeep Liberty CRD and had ideas of putting it on my manual trans TD wagon with a mechanical/vacuum control system but decided to live with the automatic instead. Some of the Mercedes guys have had good luck getting VNT setups to work on their old diesels though, so it should be feasible on a D24T as well, and on those Benzes they are getting instant spool off idle, lots more power all through the rev band, and even a few more MPG as well...

Last time I was in the Denver area I stopped by a place out in Golden called LinDen Engineering, it was near a biodiesel pump I was using -- they had a handful of Pinzgauers parked there and one was a diesel. Would that have been yours? :)

R.Mojica
06-18-2013, 06:01 PM
can anyone tell me the stock boost level for a non intercooled 85 740 m46?
Thanks

745 TurboGreasel
06-18-2013, 06:23 PM
The overboost valve opens and dumps out all your boost at approximately 12 PSI. WG is set slightly blow that.
Block the WG hose, and you should overboost around 3200 RPM at full load in high gear.

R.Mojica
06-23-2013, 06:47 PM
ok thanks. got it running for the 1st 1ime in 18 years today. very excited. still a long way to go.