PDA

View Full Version : Diesel power!

Kraftwerk
05-13-2012, 03:17 AM
First of all, greetings from Bosnia & Herzegovina!

I always though Volvos were cool, but never got around of owning one, since my whole life I've been mostly a Mercedes guy. My whole family, that is.

Up until the last year, when I saw a '94 965 diesel with a shot engine, and even worse enterior in a backyard.
I talked to the owner, and it turned out that it was for sale for quite a time already, and he was almost about to scrap it.
Few hours later, I had it on a trailer.
I'm trying to restore it to a "shining like new" condition ever since, so I got a 3.0 petrol sedan for spares, since 960s are extremely rare here, and recenty aqired a 944 petrol+LPG car as well, because it was too good to pass.

I will post pictures some time later...

Cheers!

v8volvo
05-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Welcome aboard!

It is great to see our numbers of international members growing... someday we will have to make a map of where everyone on here is from. Seems like we have people from almost every side of the globe.

I have been taking some time off of work to travel recently, and remarkably enough, I will in fact be in Bosnia & Herzegovina next week. I will have to look on a map and see where Banja Luka is. Perhaps I will have to see if I can make a stop... it would sure be fun to see a diesel 900 series in the flesh, and have a chance to say hello to a diesel Volvo owner from halfway around the world!

I am in Southern France now and have been enjoying the many interesting diesel cars on the road here. I have only seen two older diesel Volvos, one very nice late model 240 wagon and an older 740 sedan that had seen better days. Plenty of old VW LT vans running around as well, though, with D24 engines under the hood of course (or rather under the driver's seat).

Kraftwerk
05-15-2012, 05:29 PM
What a coincidence!
If you manage to stop by, be sure to PM me, I hope we would be able to arrange something.

For the "international" thing, I must agree - I wouldn't know for the rest of the world, but D24's are not an uncommon sight around theese parts.
In fact, speaking of BiH, I would say there is significantly more diesel bricks, whether be it 200, 700 or 900 series, though 200 series are also common with petrol engines, and as for the 900's - mostly, no one had heard of them: except for those I own, I know of only about 10 others, where 3 are 960's. BiH is not a big country, estimated population is around 4.5M, but even though, I would like to see more of 900 series then Porsche Cayenne's and black Audi A-everythings.
Alas, around here, most of vehicles are diesels displacing under 2 liters because fees are big, and fuel prices are rather enormous: 6$ per US Gallon! In Germany, France, especially Italy, is even worse.
Concerning France, last time I was there I didn't own a single Volvo, hence I paid less attention to them, but I remember that I saw only one brick in those seven days I was there - a Volvo Polar, basically a 945, "tax special" edition - B200FS and most of extras to compensate it.

As far as I can remember from my lurking days, there is also a member from Croatia, which is bordering with BiH. They have quite a nice Volvo club and forum over there...