PDA

View Full Version : Timing + lumpy start

m5 sjs
04-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Well after i timed the pump to 0.92 it does seem to run a bit better. However, i am still getting a lumpy start when the engine is cold in the morning. I need to hold the throttle on slightly for a short time till the engine clears,there is a small amount of smoke also when i do this. Does the coldstart need to work to get a good start,or is there something else? Could there be oil lying in the cyclinders or around the valves somewhere for the smokey start in the morning? I have fitted brand new bosch injectors and new glowplugs. Not too worried with these issues,but would like to know if something serious is going to develop?
Thanks for your help.
ps my engine is d24t.

Volvoist
04-23-2012, 05:34 PM
The cold start thermostat may help, however, they are supposedly NLA. I got the last two from Volvo, and last known one from Bosch. They said that more may come, but nobody can say for sure. That said, you might have some other issues. Check your valve clearance. You may have some engine wear, but I don't think you should really worry. Just keep good synthetic oil in it, and it'll be alright most likely.

m5 sjs
04-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks for your reply,i was going to change the oil soon anyway,could you tell me what grade of synthetic oil to use.
Cheers

Volvoist
04-23-2012, 05:59 PM
5w40 or 0w40 would be fine.

ian2000t
05-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Cold start still available from SeekParts24 as I found a few weeks ago. Think it's a German parts co. but with Postage from Germany to UK in total it was only £35!! Pennies compared to the £80 Volvo wanted... and I had to drive to the dealer using my own fuel for that!

piper109
05-16-2012, 07:08 AM
It depends what colour the smoke is. If its truly blue it would be residual oil. If its pale blue it could be unburnt fuel. Personally I have found that .97 advance gives a less smoky, less lumpy start and the engine is not really any rattlier. Acceleration is a bit cleaner too.
Individual engine condition and fuel supply may influence that too.

Steve

m5 sjs
05-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys for your replys,the smoke is not getting any worse,and the car is driving well,so hopefully all will be ok.
Cheers