PDA

View Full Version : injection pump timing

m5 sjs
04-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Well,i have been putting this off for a while because i was not sure of the correct way to do it,so today i decided to give it a go,i removed the vac pump,and disconnected the cold start device,i set the engine to tdc on no-1 cyclinder,on the injection pump all the marks line up,and the 0 on the flywheel is at the pointer through the bell housing.I put the dail gauge in the pump,so with everything at tdc i backed up the engine until the dail gauge stopped moving,i set that to the 0 mark on the gauge,then i turned the engine round in its normal rotation until all the marks for tdc line up,i did it a few times to see if i was getting the same reading,i was getting a reading of 0.85, sometimes it would read 0.84 or 0.86 or 0.87 but it was averaging 0.85.So basically i would appreciate if someone could tell me if i have got my reading correct or if i am not doing this the correct way.

P.S, i have not moved anything yet, i was just looking for a reading,but i was thinking of bumping the timing up to mybe 0.90 or 0.95,would this be the best for performance,
Thanks again for your help

michaelovitch
04-18-2012, 03:35 PM
if it's a factory turbo engine you can go to 0.90 without problems
it will be happier.
you too.
better power better all you wish.

m5 sjs
04-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks michaelovitch for your reply,yes my engine is a d24t factory turbo,i should have said that,so 0.90 is pretty good all round,is that the highest you think it would be safe to take it,or is there a little more you could go,anyway thanks again.

michaelovitch
04-19-2012, 02:13 AM
If you plan on using it as a normal car i would say not much than 0.95

all is a question of use.

your injectors must be in good shape or it will be useless if they spray too soon .

higher than 0.95 it's too much i think.

Few people here did more however.

m5 sjs
04-19-2012, 04:13 AM
Thanks,yes i have new injectors,i will try it at 0.90 and see how it runs.Cheers