PDA

View Full Version : Need some measurements please!

LRD FETISH
04-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I am considering putting a D24T into a Land Rover Discovery! I know that the transmission is the same that's not the problem. I just need to know how long it is from bellhousing to the crank pulley! I just need to know before I outlay the money! Any help would be gratefully received!

Jason
04-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Do some more searching on the site, I'm pretty sure there is member on here that stuffed one in a Land Rover, but I could be dreaming this up.

Jason

LRD FETISH
04-18-2012, 03:39 AM
All i need is the length! The rest i can handle! I searched for land rover and for length i will try dimension!

piper109
04-20-2012, 04:48 PM
I have a Land Rover Discovery and I also have 2 D24T engines in Volvo's.
I toyed with putting one into the Disco as the transmission will accept some swapped parts. I ended up fitting a 300tdi with R380 instead. It was much easier and i hate automatics.
I can take some measurements in a day or so but you will probably have to mount the rad off to one side and forego the a/c.

A guy in UK put one in a series Land Rover so where there's a will there's a way.

Steve

LRD FETISH
04-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks that would be great! I have some guys on landroversonly waiting to see the outcome! I hate auto's also but my funds don't allow my to afford a 5spd and 300tdi right now! Plus i think it will be an interesting change and may be helpfull to others!

pgringo
04-21-2012, 05:33 PM
i have my d24t on a engine stand right now. i can give you the measurement from the front of the crank pulley to the back edge of the flywheel if that will help you. let me know.

piper109
04-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Better take pgringo's offer up. I forgot to measure an engine yesterday when I was near my D24T's. They are 200 miles away.

Steve

LRD FETISH
04-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Yes please! I am going to start a thread about the swap! Now just got to find a D24T in TN!

pgringo
04-23-2012, 08:01 PM
ok. i'll post the info tomorrow after i get home from work. it's bedtime for me right now.

pgringo
04-24-2012, 05:50 PM
it's right at about 27&1/2" (maybe a little less) from the front edge of the harmonic balancer to the edge of the rear of the engine block. this measurement does not include the flywheel, but that will be covered by the bellhousing anyway, and included in the "trans & bellhousing" length.

piper109
04-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Yes please! I am going to start a thread about the swap! Now just got to find a D24T in TN!

Where in TN are you located?

LRD FETISH
04-27-2012, 04:09 AM
Clarksville! Thanks pringo! That's perfect s little tight but fine!

piper109
04-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Clarksville! Thanks pringo! That's perfect s little tight but fine!

Well that's not close by. I live 20 miles from the TN state line with NC (not far from Bristol) and I know where there is a complete 740 diesel sitting in a field.

piper109
04-27-2012, 05:12 AM
You may want to check in with Verdigo as it seems he is Clarksville also.

anders
04-27-2012, 05:38 AM
I was thinking on swapping a D24T into a S10, the biggest thing holding me back from doing it is the length of the top of the engine. Since the D24T has the rear injection belt it adds clearance issues up top. I'm going to swap in a Isuzu 4BD1t instead ( 3.9L 4 cyl. direct injected turbo with replaceable cylinder liners!) It is a shorter engine with lots of low end grunt.
How much room do you have for the oil sump? The d24 and D24T's both have weird oil pans.

LRD FETISH
04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
The 4bd1t was my first choice but I dont have the money to use adapters right now! I started a thread on them on land rovers only. Hoe much is that Volvo in a field may be worth the drive! Also have to know if it's the automatic as I need the bellhousing! Thanks for all the help guys!

piper109
04-27-2012, 04:26 PM
I dont know how much the guy wants for the 740D in the field. Its a guy in his 70's that was really difficult to talk to as I think he may have Altzeimers now. I hesitate to go to talk to him. If you are really serious I will give you his phone number. I'm assuming he is still circulating but I'm not sure. He has 30 Volvo's in that field and only 1 is a diesel. Its a sedan and most likely automatic. I have a bell housing off a Volvo D24T ZF transmission in my garage along with a bunch of other tranny parts, torque converter etc. as I have rebuilt the ZF 4HP22 in my D24T converted 92 wagon. I also have a complete ZF tranny in good order from an 86 740 and also a good ZF tranny from a 99 SD Disco D1 with 104k miles that I took out to swap in a 300tdi with R360 5 sp. I even have a good transfer case that will fit either of the Disco D1 transmissions.
Incidentally its probably necessary to swap the valve block and governor from ZF to ZF, not just the bellhousing. The revs and torque curve of the V8 vs D24T are quite different.

Steve

LRD FETISH
04-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Awesome news! How much would you want for a complete Volvo trans (or just the parts I need) and the bellhousing and torque converter? That would allow me then just to find the motor! Thanks again that's some great info!

LRD FETISH
05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Even if I have to cut into the firewall for the belt to allow me to change it, its going in! Just something cool about a straight six diesel! I know you guys agree with that one plus I want a higher revving engine for the highway! I think it's going to be great! Now just got to get ahold of the guy selling the motor and trans in Nashville on this board!

piper109
05-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Well I finally looked under the hood today. Just to confirm dimensions, I measured 26 1/2" from the bellhousing bolt-up surface to the extreme front of crankshaft pulley. It should be mentioned that to that dimension you should add the radiator fan and clutch. Also, the injector belt drive and cover project back over the top of the bell housing ~ 2 1/2 inches. You will need some space between the firewall and the belt drive also as other wise you will have to remove the engine or something extreme, just to set the pump timing.....

Steve