PDA

View Full Version : Timing tools on ebay

palmtree
03-30-2012, 12:27 PM
I have read that the necessary timing tools can be bought inexpensively on eBay. On searching I find several different sets with different tools. Can someone point me in the right direction.
1980 265 d24.
Thanks.

anders
03-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Are you looking for all the timing tools to do the valve and injection? There is only two that you really need to buy. The cam position holder (it's fairly u shaped) and the dial indicator with the long holder. Ebay has them and they are from Zdmak. You don't need the locking pin for the IP sprocket (there is a notch on the sprocket that will line up with the notch on the IP). I have the Cam holder from Zdmak. and it works fine but needs to be shimmed to be accurate. I can't speak of the quality of the dial indicator.

anders
03-30-2012, 01:32 PM
dial indicator: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tools-for-Bosch-Diesel-Timing-VW-Volkswagen-Audi-Volvo-/170814595885?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item27c557e32d
Cam holder and un-needed pin:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-2-Timing-Tools-for-VW-Audi-Volkswagen-repair-/170814595688?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item27c557e268

anders
03-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Here is a dial indicator I would buy:http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHLEY-BOSCH-DIESEL-INJECTION-PUMP-TIMING-TOOLS-SET-vw-volvo-/380407678560?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5892108660

palmtree
03-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks Anders. That is very helpful. It just seems like I need to be able to set the timing if I am going to own this car. I have already paid someone to replace the injection pump belt twice. The first guy put it on too tight and it broke within 20 miles. The second guy did it right (I think) but between the two I have already spent $365.
Brett

anders
03-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Well the tools would pay for themselves if you had to do any of the timing belts. It's actually a super simple job with the tools and if you have done it once before ( but also easy to learn how to do...)

pgringo
02-08-2013, 06:35 AM
since those old links are no good, could someone update them? i need to pick these tools up soon and i'd like to know of the better quality versions.

v8volvo
02-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Baum Tools in Florida offers timing sets for VW diesels that can be adapted to work on the Volvo motor.

Lots of old independent shops that used to work on VW diesels are happy to sell their old timing tools nowadays too, and some of those are better quality than what you can buy new. Anything by AST, Zelenda, Hazet, etc is good. There is a page on k-jet.org that shows all the tool numbers and pictures for the Volvo set you may want to refer to, then look on ebay if nothing else, anything listed as working for the old VW 1.6D can be adapted for the D24 family. The main differences as far as cam and pump timing are concerned are that the D24 dial indicator holder is a couple inches longer to extend the indicator out to where it doesn't interfere with the vac pump (so that you don't have to pull the pump off to time it), and the "ears" on the cam locking plate are spread a few mm further apart. Baum doesn't know much about the Volvo version but they sell tools listed for the Audi 2.0D which is the same in all relevant senses, you can easily modify the cam locking bar to work on the 2.0/D24/T by grinding the ears a bit, or zip the rear 2 valve cover studs out; and Baum I believe does sell the longer version of the dial holder which really is handy to have. The only other important part is the cam counterhold tool (#9995199) and the 9995201 wrench but those can be improvised relatively easily with generic tools...

I also have a set of tools that I have loaned out to members before if you need more than just the timing stuff (counterholds, etc....)