PDA

View Full Version : d24t long block in near bay area, ca

NO_SPRK
02-06-2012, 08:41 PM
hey guys i have a 85 740. looking for a complete running long block to swap in. mines tired.

sonoma, ca

v8volvo
02-07-2012, 09:00 AM
You might want to look up member 745TurboGreasel on Turbobricks. For some reason he seems to not want to join us on this board, but he is in Northern California and I know he has a spare motor that he might be persuaded to part with, or trade you for your tired one.

Or, EvoStevo has a used D24T for sale in the classifieds section.

Though, also, I have had success with at least three diesel Volvos that had engines that had been "tired" and in need of rebuilding or the junkyard, restoring to fine condition. In one case all it needed was a valve adjustment and resetting of cam and IP timing. Another one needed those things and 2 new glow plugs and a new glow relay. All 3 are working perfectly in daily service now. You might want to explore trying to get yours healthy again first before committing to yanking it out.

NO_SPRK
02-07-2012, 03:56 PM
picked the car up. cranked her over. my friend noticed the IP cam not moving. after removing the valve cover i found this..

in the short minute i looked at it in the rain i see the cam after the first valve broke and the camshaft bearing cap is cracked too

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss294/NO_SPRK/IMG_20120207_161238.jpg

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss294/NO_SPRK/IMG_20120207_161253-1.jpg

v8volvo
02-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Bummer! That is more than just tired, it has a broken timing belt. When the front belt breaks on a D24T, the camshaft almost always snaps.

Too bad, but if the bottom end is in good shape all it probably needs is a cylinder head. There is almost never any damage to the rotating assembly from a broken T-belt on a VW diesel, though in certain extreme circumstances you can end up with a bent rod or two.

Easy enough to pull the head off and measure piston protrusion. As long as you don't find any low ones, you can probably stick a head on it (with a new MLS gasket) and drive it away happy.

Or put a new motor in it -- but don't scrap your old one, since it is probably still mostly in solid shape! If you really want to swap motors instead, then you can easily rebuild your existing unit once it is out of the car, and then sell it and make a few bucks. :cool:

NO_SPRK
02-07-2012, 10:19 PM
well im confused because my friend also noticed the timing belt cover moving while cranking her over. before i took the valve cover off i peaked in the timing belt cover and saw it there. tight. the guy still claims it just slowly started getting hard to start but always ran fine when it did start. wierd thing is i sold this car to the guy 2 years ago. he put 40k on it. its got 207k now. when i had it the car ran beautiful besides a funky ZF auto which has been rebuilt now.

NO_SPRK
02-07-2012, 10:21 PM
im into rebuilding this but i was looking at it in the worst situation. so long block. but now that i found this. this diesel "mechanic" told me.. HYDRO HEAD. NO BREAK VALVES. hahaha. i just said uh sure thing.