PDA

View Full Version : water pump question

77volvo245
01-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Looking for a good brand water pump trying to stay way from gmb. It seem like that's all you can find these days. I found a water pump that off of a 1993 eurovan diesel. They call out graph, the part # 023-121-004x looks just like the d24, has anyone tried it?

michaelovitch
01-26-2012, 03:00 AM
I know you're in the US but have you got brands like : skf , quinton hazell, delphi ,febi bilstein,valéo ?

they are quite good brands especially skf ,valeo,febi.

did you try a vw dealer ?

anders
01-26-2012, 06:06 AM
Bosch looks like it is a high quality unit with a cast impeller like OE. Rockauto has the best deal on them, I got mine through Napa.

v8volvo
01-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Evidently the Bosch pumps can also be bought through Amazon. Odd but they appear to have access to them.

The good brands are Bosch, Graf, and Hepu. I got a QH (Quinton Hazell) pump one time that had the right impeller, but the drive sprocket was not very nice... I was so concerned about it that I ended up pulling the sprocket off and pressing on a used one from a core OEM pump I had.

Keep an eye on Ebay, good D24 pumps come up there pretty often. There were some Graf units for sale a few weeks ago for a good price.

The Eurovan part will not work -- they had a different timing belt design, and were tensioned a different way so the water pump does not have the slotted holes necessary for timing belt tension adjustment on the D24 family engines. The only engine that the pump cross-references with, besides D24T and D24, is the Audi 2.0L 5 cylinder diesel and turbodiesel, as found in a 1979-1984 Audi 5000 Diesel/TD. Also known as the D20 engine when it was used in Volvo 240's, but we never got any of those here... thankfully...

jbg
01-29-2012, 05:01 PM
I agree that the Graf-branded water pumps are quite good. At one time Tom Bryant on the D24 mailing list had a very extensive water pump analysis. Perhaps looking through that thread could shed some additional information.