PDA

View Full Version : Sheet metal specification for 740 floors

jbg
01-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Dieselers,

This is more of a Volvo 740 question, not really diesel specific: what gauge sheet metal should I use to replace areas of a floor with rust damage? I plan to purchase some sheet metal to form, trim, and weld into the sections that I cut out. I have seen mention of 18-gauge on various car forums, but nothing Volvo-specific. Any input on this topic would be very helpful.

Thanks,

michaelovitch
01-14-2012, 04:47 PM
i would say 1.5 mm is good.
1 mm is thin.

if you heat up and bend a thin sheet you will have no more a 18 gauge but thinner on the bent parts.

jbg
01-14-2012, 06:36 PM
michaelovitch,

1.5mm looks to be approximately 16-gauge metal (1.52mm), whereas 18-gauge is 1.21mm; all according to Wikipedia. I suppose I could visit a wrecking yard and measure a panel's thickness just to be sure.

v8volvo
01-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Rust? What is rust??

(Ha, ha, greetings from the salt-free West Coast..... :p)

Measuring at a wrecking yard is not a bad idea.

Are you working on a sedan or a wagon? I have a 740 wagon parts car that I will be pulling the motor from, and then scrapping, within the next month. If the section of floorpan you need to replace is not large, I could almost even cut it out of the bottom of my non-rusty wagon and send it to you. I do not know whether it is usually considered easier to weld in a section of used body or to just start over with fresh sheetmetal instead... but if you would like, as long as it is not huge and I can find the appropriate tool, whatever pieces you may need are yours for the cost of shipping. Hate to junk something that someone might be able to use.

michaelovitch
01-15-2012, 01:52 AM
Don't forget there is 2 billion coats of paint !

jbg
01-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Are you working on a sedan or a wagon? I have a 740 wagon parts car that I will be pulling the motor from, and then scrapping, within the next month. If the section of floorpan you need to replace is not large, I could almost even cut it out of the bottom of my non-rusty wagon and send it to you.

v8volvo,

I have a sedan. The section(s) that need replacement are located in the passenger side (left hand drive) wheel well. Where the wheel well is a vertical sheet of metal making up part of the firewall / door post. I hope I am explaining this clear enough. I need a section starting at this vertical piece and ending where it curves down under to form part of the floor pan. I'll try and get a few pictures tomorrow for a reference. My though if going used was to borrow a cordless Saw Zall and cut the piece out of a junkyard car and have a buddy help me weld it in.