PDA

View Full Version : Oil Catch Tank

ian2000t
01-03-2012, 04:00 AM
My engine seems to push a bit of oil out of the breather on the top of the valve cover, which is connected to the inlet just before the turbo. This means all of the intake hoses and probably the intercooler are coated with oil inside.

I'm thinking of putting a catch tank in to stop the oil beign pumped back into the inlet - something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OIL-CATCH-TANK-ROUND-9MM-15MM-FITTINGS-BLUE-/400134243123?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d29dc0333

Is it just a case of connecting the valve cover outlet to one hose on it, and the other hose back to the inlet before the turbo? How soes the oil get back into the engine after, or do you manually have to empty it when it's full?

anders
01-13-2012, 11:09 AM
On most after market catch tanks I have seen you have to manually drain the tank. I would remove the fitting on the bottom and plumb it in to the dipstick tube, something like Jason did with his car.

jbg
01-14-2012, 12:05 PM
ian2000t,

I made a CCV filter out of a re-purposed Harbor Freight (fright) air tool dryer/oiler. This unit cost me approximately $20 USD. I used only the "dryer" module and drilled and tapped one of the sides to 1/2" (the other side was already 1/2"). From here I purchased two 1/2" to 3/4" threaded hose barbs and plumbed it into the engine. I have the catcher mounted in front of the stock air box on a D24T. It works very well and the 3/4" barbs allows me to utilize hoses that fit the CCV and turbo inlet barbs, without needing adapters.

michaelovitch
01-14-2012, 04:20 PM
I plan to buy or make one too and i'm very interested by the feedback or experiences of the members here :)

when i've dismantled a d24 head i had 3 mm thick hard gunk on the valves and it doesn't help the engine to breathe because it's not very aerodynamic....
those pcv systems crap the all engine and there is not only oil but smoke from combustion : that's mean it's abrasive and wear out all the movings parts like soft valves guides and pistons......:mad: