PDA

View Full Version : Injection Pump timing after belt replacement

indestruktable
12-26-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm finishing up replacement of my timing belt and injection pump belt. Must I follow the procedure in the green book that involves loosening the bracket bolts and all that?
I thought I read somewhere (but can't find it now) that it was possible to set the pump timing without moving the pump itself. Is this true?

michaelovitch
12-26-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm finishing up replacement of my timing belt and injection pump belt. Must I follow the procedure in the green book that involves loosening the bracket bolts and all that?
I thought I read somewhere (but can't find it now) that it was possible to set the pump timing without moving the pump itself. Is this true?

Once the timing belt finished you can set the I pump :

the "academic" way :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTXAm4P6nXU

or like it has been said to me here to not move the pump at all : use the rear camshaft pulley to set the pump !

align the I PUMP, I pump bracket marks and use the special tool to lock the pulley.
then you install your hard lines to the injectors.
tighten all the bolts nuts etc...

( I loosen all the bolts of the pump brackets attached to the block ,install the pump belt let the pump let the pump" fall down" on it's own weight to adjust the tension of the belt and tighten all the bolts and nuts of the brackets )

then loosen the camshaft rear pulley to adjust the pump setting : SO not by rotating the I pump but the rear camshaft pulley :)

of course you need to remove the pin locking tool first from the pump pulley.

the good thing is that do not create stress on the hard lines and it's faster to set the pump.

use the TDC of the flywheel in a normal way in any case and the dial indicator.

torque the rear camshaft, bolt at the good spec too, it's important !

check and recheck the setting.

indestruktable
12-27-2011, 07:14 AM
or like it has been said to me here to not move the pump at all : use the rear camshaft pulley to set the pump !

align the I PUMP, I pump bracket marks and use the special tool to lock the pulley.
then you install your hard lines to the injectors.
tighten all the bolts nuts etc...

( I loosen all the bolts of the pump brackets attached to the block ,install the pump belt let the pump let the pump" fall down" on it's own weight to adjust the tension of the belt and tighten all the bolts and nuts of the brackets )

then loosen the camshaft rear pulley to adjust the pump setting : SO not by rotating the I pump but the rear camshaft pulley :)

of course you need to remove the pin locking tool first from the pump pulley.

the good thing is that do not create stress on the hard lines and it's faster to set the pump.

use the TDC of the flywheel in a normal way in any case and the dial indicator.

torque the rear camshaft, bolt at the good spec too, it's important !

check and recheck the setting.

Ok, this makes sense to me so I'll try it. See, all I've done is replace the belts, so my injector lines are still hooked up and everything. The rear sprocket is off because I replaced the seals and the green book says to remove the sprockets during belt replacement. I think I now get the general reasoning behind the methods so I'll give it a shot.

ngoma
12-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Forum member v8volvo posted a good detailed method for timing the IP, search around, you will find it. I used it, it works, kept me out of trouble!