PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps someone is interested

piper109
11-24-2011, 01:20 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-Jeep-Cherokee-body-Volvo-innerds-VW-6-cylinder-diesel-D24T-w-ZF-HP22-auto-/320798492511?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ab114875f

Steve
I have not seen it, just noticed while browsing.

v8volvo
12-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Pretty wild. Looks like a squeeze!

You would have to really like Jeeps to think that doing all this work would make sense, especially with still only having 2wd. Hard to imagine why the original builder thought this was a better idea than just putting the drivetrain into a nice 700 or 900 series wagon... just as rugged, but more space and much superior comfort, ride and handling. I suppose things like this usually arise when a guy happens to have a good drivetrain, and a good spare body needing an engine around.... Otherwise the rationale behind this one is pretty hard to see!

I looked at a 1984 Lincoln Mark VII Turbodiesel that is for sale near me earlier tonight, just out of curiosity... Big Lincoln body with a BMW 2.4L TD six and ZF 4HP22 under the hood! Much like a Volvo, BMW and VW Industrial must have had the same idea at the same time when they were building diesel sixes in the '80s. It looked about as tightly packed in that Lincoln engine bay as the D24T does in the Cherokee... much tighter than the BMW motor is under the hood of a BMW. The Lincoln was seductive from a uniqueness standpoint, but it was sitting on its jounce bumpers due to collapsed air suspension and was pretty dingy inside despite only 48k miles... I'll stick with a Volvo, thanks. :-)

piper109
12-01-2011, 12:37 PM
The seller was a rural mail carrier in a mountainous area. I guess he really needed the jeep as it suited his needs at that time. I doubt if a Volvo sedan or wagon would have been as suitable for that purpose. A 4x4 Jeep would have been better but a lot more complicated to convert. I have thought about it but I got a 300tdi Discovery instead.

Steve

Jason
12-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Ya i saw it too, to me it wouldn't be worth the work unless it was 4wd. Really not too big a deal just need to mount up a divorced T-case and your in busines.

Jason