PDA

View Full Version : Adding a turbo to a 240 with factory slant. Pictures.

anders
11-22-2011, 05:50 AM
For anybody interested in adding a turbo to there 240 here is what I did. You can use a factory D24T manifold and mount the turbo directly to it, there is plenty of room using a T3, not sure on a hybrid T3/T4. I did not go this route because you would need to add a oil scavange pump for the turbo drain. ( Turbo drain line should be above the oil line in the pan with a 15 degree slope or more) What I did was built a connecting "up" pipe to move the turbo up and forward. I'm not sure if I will have room for the internal wastegate. I have the drain line into the pan right behind the AC pump, I welded a 1/2" NPT bung and put a -10 fitting on it. I relocating my oil filter using a Canton racing remote oil filter mount for Ford small block ( I can still use the Napa gold 1333 filter), At the oil filter mount I will have the oil feed to the turbo. For cooling the oil I will be a using a B&M supertec oil cooler, it has a built on fan and thermostat. I will be mounting that under the intercooler. I will post more pictures of cooler/drain/filter mount ect.. later.

anders
11-22-2011, 06:17 AM
Oh.. and the turbo I'm using is a Turbonetics T3 48/F49 Turbine with a super 60 compressor housing.

jbg
11-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Anders,

Your turbo mounting and attention to detail are very nice indeed. Regarding the relocated turbocharger, do you have an ancillary support to "hold" the weight of it? I ask because the turbo itself has some weight it it, couple that and the movement of the engine, I fear it might stress the adapter pipe or the exhaust manifold all together!

Speaking of the turbo adapter piping, or the "up" pipe, is this made from iron like the manifold?

anders
11-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Yes it will have two braces, one from flange to flange and from turbo to head. The pipe is built from mild steel and cast iron flanges.

michaelovitch
11-24-2011, 11:32 AM
waouh !

Nice !

I follow that ,very interesting !

DWL_Puavo
11-25-2011, 05:46 AM
Exhaust manifold from stock Volvo seems much better than the very basic and short cast-iron "candelabra" from a VW LT engine. I never thought that volvo manifold's exhaust flange faces downwards, in LT it faces sidewards so I was pleased to find out it in these pictures. This simple information can be quite valuable for me :)

Also thanks for the pic and info about oil return pipe to the oil sump!

anders
01-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Update!
So I ran into problems with oil drain line even with the "up" pipe, I did not get the proper slope for the drain. If I would of welded in a fitting on front of the pan on the passenger side it would work. So.. the turbo is bolted directly to the manifold now and I will be ordering a turbowerx oil scavenge pump, that along with a wolstentech TDR to run the pump 30 seconds after shut down. It is going together slowly but it is getting there!

palmtree
03-22-2012, 02:10 PM
I am very intrigued. I would love to try something like this. Have you made any more progress?

Wren
03-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Nice work.

It's difficult to tell from the photos, but will you have any issue with clearance around the alternator?

anders
03-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Well I forgot to update this thread as I started a build thread. The 244 D24Tic is now finished with it's engine swap. It is running and driving great. I'm very happy with the results in power. The scavenge pump works great with the TDR. If I where to do this all over again I would try to do it with the D24t pan and have the engine more in the upright position as in the 7xx cars. There is no clearance issues with the alternator. Here are some pictures.

anders
03-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Oh I did not install the oil cooler and remote oil filter as I had room to keep it in the factory location, but I will be adding a oil cooler and or temp gauge to it. Here are some more pictures... I rebuilt a 82 d24t engine and installed into the car after the previous engine kept burning oil. It is std bore and crank, with KS bearings and Deves rings, ARP head studs, gasket matched and polished runners on cylinder head, intake gasket matched and polished runners, rear cap on intake welded up ( I blew off the rubber cap at around 25psi). I only have 200 miles on this fresh engine, It's great not having to add 1 qt oil every 50 miles!

Jason
03-24-2012, 04:27 AM
Very nice... Sounds alot like my build, even down to the deves rings... Did you do a NA cam?

Jason

michaelovitch
03-24-2012, 04:49 AM
Very nice... Sounds alot like my build, even down to the deves rings... Did you do a NA cam?

Jason

As i know there is no difference between NA and Turbo engines camshaft.

Any info ?

anders
03-26-2012, 03:14 PM
I used the D24T cam. I didn't even think about putting the D24 cam in, I just wanted it to be running ( I was hoping to get it done for the swedish car show but did not make it :mad:)

michaelovitch
03-27-2012, 04:52 AM
I used the D24T cam. I didn't even think about putting the D24 cam in, I just wanted it to be running ( I was hoping to get it done for the swedish car show but did not make it :mad:)

IS there a difference between the two ?

anders
03-27-2012, 06:04 AM
According to the D24 master the intake lobes are open 2 degrees longer, also sooner.

michaelovitch
03-27-2012, 06:24 AM
According to the D24 master the intake lobes are open 2 degrees longer, also sooner.

Ok.
thanks.:D

Jason
03-30-2012, 07:10 PM

All I have ever heard is they make a little more power with the NA cam. I actually took measurements off my D24T cam but then never got around to taking the measurements off the NA cam. I never could get a concrete answer out of anyone as to what the difference actually was (lift, duration, lobe separation, etc). What D24 master book are you refering to? Do you have a copy that you could scan the page with the info to put up on the forum? I would like to see it.

Jason

Jason
03-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Also I'm really suprised you needed a scavenge pump for the oil drain. Did you try it without? It looks to me like the turbo is at the same height as it would be if it were bolted to the manifold... Just the little bit of added slant on the engine shouldn't make any difference. The oil level is still much lower than the turbo.

Jason

anders
04-02-2012, 05:55 AM
I probably did not need the scavenge pump. It was a new turbo and I needed it to be warrantied if something where to happen with it. They would not warranty it if the oil drain from the turbo entered into the pan below the oil level. On the D24 pans there is nowhere on the turbo side on the pan to weld a drain bung into it other than below the oil level.
As for the D24 cam it was brought up on a thread by Tom Bryant, I will look for it...

anders
04-02-2012, 06:16 AM
On Turbobicks He mentioned the NA cam was 2% more efficient, could not find where the 2 degrees came from though. He also said he has the cam specs on a excel format.

Jason
04-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Well damn I was hoping for a page scanned out of whatever master manual has this level of detailed info on the engine.

Jason

anders
04-03-2012, 05:01 AM
I wish I had a "master manual" that had all the specs like that. Have you thought about having a high performance cam built? Don't the IDI VW guys have a performance cam? If I had the specs to the performance 1.6 cam the engine shop that I deal with custom grinds cams and I could have a D24T cam done.

Jason
04-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Ya there is a guy on the vwdiesel.net site that grinds them to whatever performance profile he made up, and the question was raised about doing a D24 camshaft. Sounded like he could accomidate one, however I think its a little cost prohibitive for me, considering the minor performance gain. I would rather put that kind of money towards a built 12mm injection pump, which would really raise the power potential.

Jason

anders
04-05-2012, 04:54 AM
What is he charging to do so? The engine shop I work with will do it for $150. I don't know what the performance gains would be though.

Jason
04-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Couldn't tell you, I don't remember but I do remember thinking to myself it was more than i wanted to spend for a minor improvement.

Jason

verdigo
07-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Update!
So I ran into problems with oil drain line even with the "up" pipe, I did not get the proper slope for the drain. If I would of welded in a fitting on front of the pan on the passenger side it would work. So.. the turbo is bolted directly to the manifold now and I will be ordering a turbowerx oil scavenge pump, that along with a wolstentech TDR to run the pump 30 seconds after shut down. It is going together slowly but it is getting there!

I have my turbo in the stock location on my 240 and have welded a 10 AN bung on the oil pan aft of the turbo. Its a used turbo and its leaking out the ass end of it. Drain line or turbo? I don't know at this point. The drain line does drain below the oil level, but I work on 1.8T VWs all the time and the oil drains into the pan just above the oil pain drain plug. Deffienately below the oil level. So I thought what the hell and piped mine in below the oil level as well on the 245. VW 1.8 Turbo engines do seem to eat turbo oil seals so Im wondering about a rebuilt turbo or do I need to get a scavenge pump as well.

Dennis

Mike94531
02-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Well I forgot to update this thread as I started a build thread. The 244 D24Tic is now finished with it's engine swap. It is running and driving great. I'm very happy with the results in power. The scavenge pump works great with the TDR. If I where to do this all over again I would try to do it with the D24t pan and have the engine more in the upright position as in the 7xx cars. There is no clearance issues with the alternator. Here are some pictures.

Still have this car?

How is it running?

Anything you would do differently?

Any videos or comparisons to other vehicles? (can you keep up with traffic? :) )

anders
02-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Yep I still have the car. It's my daily driver with 16000 miles since adding the turbo. I don't have any videos of it, yet.. The car runs good, I need to rebuild the head since it was barely in spec as far as valve seating surface being to large and the guides being worn.. I'm currently building another engine to drop in.
I think I would only change the turbo drain configuration. There's a member on here that had "grafted" a d24t drain onto a d24 pan that looked great. I think the members user name is Eli. The car has more then enough power to keep up with traffic, it's faster then my e36 318 BMW. Not saying much but it gets better mileage and is faster then b18 powered Honda.