PDA

View Full Version : Oil/water heat exchanger where is it connected ?

michaelovitch
11-19-2011, 04:18 AM
Could somebody help me telling me or showing me (better) where the oil cooler is connected on a 700 model
i 'm adapting one on my 240 and i'm frozen at this step !

Please ! :o

piper109
11-19-2011, 04:04 PM
On the 740 with D24T, the oil cooler is sandwiched between the oil filter bracket and the oil filter cartridge, just like on many VW cars, Golf, Bora etc diesel or Gasoline.

There is a longer threaded tube fitted to the filter bracket to accommodate the thickness of the cooler and the cooler is retained by a thin nut on the same thread as the filter cartridge so that the cooler does not come loose when you spin off the filter.

Steve

michaelovitch
11-19-2011, 04:16 PM
On the 740 with D24T, the oil cooler is sandwiched between the oil filter bracket and the oil filter cartridge, just like on many VW cars, Golf, Bora etc diesel or Gasoline.

There is a longer threaded tube fitted to the filter bracket to accommodate the thickness of the cooler and the cooler is retained by a thin nut on the same thread as the filter cartridge so that the cooler does not come loose when you spin off the filter.

Steve

Thanks for your answer.:D
I did this step yet : i bought all the things like the threade tube flat skinny nut and adapter for the block at the junkyard from a vw golf 3.

My problem is to connect the hoses for the coolant at the right spots on the coolant circuit of the engine.:(:(
i'm stuck here because i have no example

piper109
11-20-2011, 02:55 PM
The feed line to the cooler comes from the back of the engine, close to the firewall, either from the engine block or from the cylinder head. I am going from memory as my D24T car is 300 km away at present. there are 2 fittings at the back there as the other one goes to the heater on the firewall.
This leads to a steel tube which fits between the intake manifold and the valve cover and then drops down to the cooler near the alternator to the filter/oil cooler. The return line then runs up above the filter, across the top of the valve cover near the front of the engine and then ties into the fittings down by the thermostat housing at a tee where the return from the heater and cold start thermostat enter.

In a few days I can take some photos if you need them.

Steve

michaelovitch
11-21-2011, 12:28 AM
The feed line to the cooler comes from the back of the engine, close to the firewall, either from the engine block or from the cylinder head. I am going from memory as my D24T car is 300 km away at present. there are 2 fittings at the back there as the other one goes to the heater on the firewall.
This leads to a steel tube which fits between the intake manifold and the valve cover and then drops down to the cooler near the alternator to the filter/oil cooler. The return line then runs up above the filter, across the top of the valve cover near the front of the engine and then ties into the fittings down by the thermostat housing at a tee where the return from the heater and cold start thermostat enter.

In a few days I can take some photos if you need them.

Steve

Thank you !
Yes if you can take photos (if it doesn't give you work) i would appreciate a lot a lot a lot :)
Because it looks like i'm missing few parts...:mad:

piper109
11-24-2011, 11:05 AM
I am having problems posting all the pics I took. If you send me an email address, I could get the pics to you much easier.

Steve

michaelovitch
11-24-2011, 12:17 PM
I am having problems posting all the pics I took. If you send me an email address, I could get the pics to you much easier.

Steve

I've sent you my email adress :)