PDA

View Full Version : Valve shims?!?!

anders
11-01-2011, 11:10 AM
So I ordered a complete set of adjusting shims from VWpartsplaceinc. I got 40 shims in the kit, should have all the shims I could ever need I thought. Started to adjust the valves, got all exhaust to spec, started on the intakes, got only #1 done when I ran into the #2. It had no clearance at all:eek:. Pulled shim, it was a 3.20 that is the smallest shim in my new kit! Started to panic..... Called VWparts and I got 20 more shims ranging from 3.15 down to 2.90, they also gave me two free shims.. So hopefully I will be back on track to get this car done. I hoping two weeks it will be running ( I need the room in the shop to change a engine in a bus..fun.. then a transmission in a 2000 honda pasport, and 2008 civic...) Get some money to finish the 240! I need to get the proper valve depressor what outfit sells them? ( I'm using a modified KD unit) I will be posting pictures later this week or early next week in a build thread..:

ian2000t
11-02-2011, 05:23 AM
I did mine a couple of weeks ago. Mine all had clearance, smallest one I needed to use was a 3.70 - think the biggest was 3.90. Actually managed to swap all of mine around, apart from one which I still need to buy.

I used a Hazet 2574-1 I bought from Ebay. Don't suppose you are in the UK, as I could always lend if you are stuck for a deposit.

ngoma
11-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Tool Rental Master List
http://d24t.com/showthread.php?584-Tool-Rental-Master-List

v8volvo
11-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I have a Hazet depressor tool that I can rent out. Have the shim pliers too if you need those, as well as a large assortment of shims on hand including some thin ones. I don't think I have ever used anything thinner than a 3.10, though.

anders
11-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Well got all my shims shipped to me and finally installed. I had two intakes I had to use 2.95 shims on. All is adjusted and engine is now bolted in the car. I built a "up" pipe to turbo from the factory d24t manifold, needed to get the turbo higher for the oil drain. There is plenty of room to have the turbo bolted directly to the D24t manifold with the factory 240 slant though. I will hopefully upload pictures next week.