PDA

View Full Version : Timing question

Tony
10-23-2011, 06:08 AM
Im rebuilding a D24tic and im currently stripping it apart, before i take things apart i like to no how they go back together, so im abit cautious of removing any timing belts. So i have to questions.
1. Where is the TDC crank marking i cant see it anywhere?
2. How does the cam shaft locking tool work? havnt got one yet but im a engineer so when i no where is goes i can make one.

Any pictures of both would be great, thanks.

piper109
10-23-2011, 10:07 AM
The TDC mark is on the flywheel and you have to look through a "window" in the bell housing at about 2 o clock looking from the front of the car.
The pointer is on the bellhousing so if you have the engine out its tricky to line it up. You have to make careful measurements and transfer them to the engine itself in order to get it right.
If you have the front crankshaft pulley off, you can use the keyway as a reference but its tough to be accurate.
Its actually easier to wait until the engine is back in the car and fitted to the transmission so the reference marks are available before timing the pump. Its only a 15 min job if you have done it before and know how.

Get yourself a D24T manual and all will become clear. I'm sure there is one on one of those Polish or Russian websites if you cant lay your hands on one at the local public library.

The camshaft locking tool fits into a slot on the rear end of the cam shaft. You have to have the valve cover off to see it. You can use a Tdi tool if you take 2 studs out to allow the flat plate to sit on the cylinder head surface that lines up with the camshaft slot.

Steve

Tony
10-25-2011, 08:50 AM
That would be why i cant see the TDC marks by engine is in the garage with no flywheel on, the front belt will need to wait.
I will need to have a look for the slot in the camshaft now i no where to look.
Thanks