PDA

View Full Version : Pump leaks

ian2000t
10-23-2011, 06:05 AM
Got a few leaks appearing on my Bosch pump. First one is from the accelerator spindle on the top. That one weeps when it's cold but then stops it when it warms up.

My worry is that I have another one which is either puddling around the fuel shut off solenoid, or is dripping from the main fuel screw. Is this a leak I should be worried about?

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m144/ian2000t/Volvo/IMAG1459.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m144/ian2000t/Volvo/IMAG1458.jpg

piper109
10-23-2011, 09:53 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but its more likely to be the big O ring that seals off the big squarish cast iron head to the aluminium housing. This is tricky to replace and most people have it done professionally because of the risks.
It is however possible to replace in situ and if you do a google search on the VW golf forums etc you will probably find something on it.

I have done it that way but I was fully aware of the risks and the consequences and I took things into my own hands.

Of course its possible that the leak come from elsewhere but that O ring is a favourite place for leaks, especially on an older pump and the fuel has changed a bit, causing it to become hard and shrink.

Steve

ian2000t
10-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeh I didn't think it would be anything small and too easy to fix!

Is that a seal that is likely to give problems with starting and running? Or is it like the leak on the accelerator shaft - just an inconvenience that's not really causing any "problems" as such?

Reason I ask is we are going away for a week in the bus so i'm hoping it will at least survive the week before giving me proper grief!

piper109
10-23-2011, 01:24 PM
It will be an inconvenience. It will probably leak about the same for quite some time.

You can disconnect the suction line from the filter, clean it well, put it in a litre of automatic transmission fluid (Dexron), run the engine till it uses the liter up then shut off the engine and let it sit for a day and the leaks will all probably go away for a little while.....but they will be back. Dont worry, the engine will run perfectly well on Dexron, and be better lubed as well. It will just make the seals swell a bit for a short while.

Steve

ian2000t
10-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Ok cheers. I've also been told that running bio or veg cause the seals to swell and can help hold leaks back for a while, but that didn't seem to be the case!

Also read a forum (pajero?) Where they had found running non-synthetic brake fluid through the pump cured leaks at least temporarily.

I think my ultimate plan is to get a second pump and look into changing the seals for viton ones which are more resilient to veg and bio then do a pump swap.

ngoma
10-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Two main problems with leaking fuel:

1) If fuel leaks on the coolant hoses under the IP they will deteriorate and fail, possibly catastrophically overheating the engine. Some of those hoses are hard to source and expensive. If the fuel leaks on the IP drive belt it will deteriorate and fail, not catastrophically but engine will not run. Also, fuel leaking on the outside of fuel hoses is not good for them. Same with wiring.

2) Fuel leaking at the pulley shaft seal can also allow fuel to drain back to tank, making starting difficult.

I think my ultimate plan is to get a second pump and look into changing the seals for viton ones which are more resilient to veg and bio then do a pump swap.
Good idea! Might want to also get a junk pump to practice on first. (strongly advised)