PDA

View Full Version : Sump removal

Tony
10-02-2011, 02:52 AM
This is most likely me being stupid but how do you remove the sump?? It looks like alot of work.~
Thanks

v8volvo
10-02-2011, 10:16 AM
The part that is a lot of work is that you will need to either remove the engine from the car, or remove the front crossmember while supporting the engine from above to gain enough space for removal. Once everything is out of the way, removing the sump is the easy part. ;-)

Tony
10-03-2011, 01:35 AM
Thanks, yeah thats what i was thinking had to be done, i was kinda hoping i could leave the block in the car and just strip the rest and wriggle the sump off.

v8volvo
10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
What is the problem that you are trying to fix? Is it leaking oil, or are you taking the pan off to get pistons out or do some other kind of engine work? Which method makes more sense in your situation (pull engine or remove crossmember) will depend on what kind of job you are needing to do.

Is this on a 200 or 700 series?

Tony
10-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Im going to rebuild the whole engine, i want to run more power and its done 233000miles so trying to avoid any weak links, i just i dont have a engine lift. Its on a 940tic. May just need to gett a engine stand and borrow a lift, will make it easier to work on anyway.

piper109
10-05-2011, 06:02 AM
The only real reason you would absolutely need to remove the engine is if you also want to replace the clutch or the crankshaft rear seal.
You could do everything else if you just dropped the front cross-member to remove the sump. You would spend a lot of time on your back and have to deal with oil dripping on your safety glasses and in your hair. The joys of working on cars :-)

VolvoBro
10-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Solid advice! Helped me out.