PDA

View Full Version : Replacing IP shaft seal with pump in car

v8volvo
09-05-2011, 02:07 PM
My '85 745 TD has developed a fuel leak at the shaft seal. The pump is not leaking anywhere else so I would like to try to save myself a bunch of work and replace the seal with the pump on the car, if possible. Has anyone attempted this? Any good tips or tricks to it?

I have a way to get the drive gear off with the pump in the car. The big challenge I think will be getting the old seal out. Last one I did, I had pump out on the bench and it was still a chore. Hoping I can do it without pulling the pump off this time -- I have had to R & R so many of my cars' pumps over the past couple months, my lower back is beginning to develop new muscles I never had before!

George

ngoma
09-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I replaced the shaft seal on a VE IP on a car where the IP was facing frontwards (towards the radiator) and it was hard enough to make me think twice about trying it where the shaft is facing the rear, jammed up against the firewall! Don't forget, you will want to polish up the shaft itself, to remove any buildup that would prematurely wear out the new seal.

You could try taping a mirror to the firewall and use a right-angle dremel attachment to drill two small holes into the seal, screw in some self-tapping small screws, and use them to lever out the seal. To install I'm thinking you could use a socket sized similar to the seal, and lever it in with a crowbar between it and the firewall.

Worth a try, but be prepared to R/R the entire IP if the seal won't come out in-car.