PDA

View Full Version : 1983 volvo 760 turbodiesel in silverdale washington (craigslist) $2,500

anders
05-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Anyone know what an older volvo like this is worth? I looked at it and it seems to run ok (has a little shake to her, seems to have a miss on a cylinder here and there) It has 139,xxx miles on it. Has the manual trans. I test drove it, but it was not half as peppy as my 86 diesel 740 with auto. The car is rough inside and out. V8volvo have you seen it? your in this area, what do you think the car is worth?

v8volvo
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
I've talked to the guy who owns it, he doesn't seem to know anything about these cars... I have tried to find time to go have a look at it, but Silverdale is quite a hike from me over here in Seattle. He wants a lot of money for it and it doesn't sound like it is in great shape (he said interior is ratty and sounds like you agree).

I paid $1000 for my '83 760 TD two years ago in Yakima, with 121k on it. It was in rough shape too and about the same amount of miles, at less than half the price. Diesels in the Seattle metro area are generally worth more than elsewhere but he is way out across the water. My guess is that his location and his asking price are the reason it has been for sale for months without selling.

The manuals generally do feel much slower and less peppy in normal driving than the automatic D24T cars. I think they might be about equal in an all-out race, but for normal driving the automatics feel quite nice and quick, while the manual cars can sometimes seem a little more pokey until the boost comes up.

I'm still hoping to find a chance to go see it, even if it's just to give him a business card in case whoever does buy it ends up needing it worked on, or help get it into the hands of an owner who will care for it, but from the description of it, I wouldn't want to pay his asking price for it...

Haven't seen you on here in a while. How is your '86 doing?

anders
05-18-2011, 07:19 AM
The 86 did great for me, I put 17,000 miles on it in the short time I had it. I got an offer on it I could not refuse so.. I sold it. I wish I didn't, but oh-well. Time to get the 83 240 diesel done, the car that I really like. I got a engine ready for it and I will hopefully get it done this summer.
As for the 83 760, before I looked at it I gave him a offer of $1,500 sight un-seen and he didn't take it. I'm now glad he didn't as it is in very bad shape. I'm now seeing what he will want for it as trades go, I just can't give him that much cash for it.

anders
09-29-2011, 05:35 AM
Well I purchased the car for a few hundred dollars after I saw it on craigslist again, this time totaled. I didn't think the car could get any worse, I thought wrong. I bought it as a donor for my 240 as it was way beyond repair. Engine is pulled, I will be putting it on a stand soon to replace the seeping head gasket and check all injectors.

v8volvo
10-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I wondered what ended up happening to that one. I saw it advertised with the front end all smashed. Glad it ended up in your hands.

If you want to sell any other diesel parts off of the wrecked 760, let me know. I have a 1983 760 TD that I would be happy to get some spares for.