PDA

View Full Version : D24Tic power

ian2000t
03-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the forums. After my 740 B230E got written off, I replaced it with a 1990 760 D24Tic Auto Estate. I'm from UK aswell - take it most of you are "across the pond"?

Done about 2,000 miles so far and it seems a good bus. Very rattly and smokes on cold startup and heavy throttle, but nothing too excessive (I don't think). Smokes less on startup since I changed glowplugs 4,5,6 the weekend.

I'm not sure it's as powerful as it's supposed to be though. I know they aren't quick from the "off" but I've been told they should pull pretty well when the boost kicks.

Mine does pull when the boost kicks but you have to really force it for the boost to kick in and never feels particularly powerful - seems to get tired about 4000rpm. Bit of smoke when turbo kicks in but not clouds of it.

Hoping to get boost gauge so I can see what psi it's running first off. I'm new to turbos though, so can you point me in the right direction as to how and where I fit the boost gauge?

Jason
03-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Hello and welcome. You'll want to fit a "T" connection in the hose that runs from the manifold to the top of the injection pump. Sounds like you need to check injection timing, along with check your injectors. Seems like most cars on here that people pick up have original worn out injectors. It should pull pretty nicely by about 2500rpm or so if things are right. The stock turbo spools quickly if its not worn out or you have boost or exhaust leaks. They do tend to fall off a little above 4k rpms with the stock turbo, the exhaust side being small restricts the top end somewhat, which is the trade off for low rpm spool up.

Jason

ian2000t
04-26-2011, 04:51 AM
Jason, cheers for your response. Have a boost guage to put in now to check what boost I'm getting - will let you know whan it's in. Also, it seems power falls off above 3-3500 actually - noticed today on a good run it was doing 3300ish, then when it changed up and started pulling better in the higher gear at 2600ish.

Will check the injection timing - is it just a DTI I need - no other "special" tools?

I have turned the diesel screw up slightly and it pulls better 2500-3000 rpm now, and smokes a little bit now on boost - had barely any smoke at all on boost before.

What would you recommend for injectors in the UK? Have been kicking myself as I missed a set of 5 brand new (old stock) injectors for £40 on Ebay!!! Are there places I can take them to be tested/reconditioned, or is there anything I can do myself? I would be too scared to ask a Volvo dealer for prices!!