PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Scotland !

DBS404
02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks for my membership to your forum, which i have found interesting and informative. (well done on your 'cat' project jason !).
Just a short post to start with, showing ( hopefully ) a picture of my 1959 unimog 404 into which i have fitted a rebuilt D24T. Everything else in the drivetrain is original and the ex volvo unit has transformed the truck even although it runs 44" tyres.
Its not properly run in yet, so once it is i`ll be looking for more torque of idle, and about 140 bhp. I`ve been collecting parts for the job including a TIC manifold and intercooler
which are quite rare here.
More photos and info on my next post
cheers for now, Brian.153

casioqv
02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Very cool and welcome to the forum! I'd love to see photos of the engine bay if you get a chance. I'm surprised you didn't go with a Mercedes diesel though because I would imagine parts would be readily available for it to bolt right in...

DBS404
02-09-2011, 03:33 PM
yeah, thought about that - you can buy the kit to fit an OM617A straight in but you just cant get them over here. Had alot of stuff for VW LT vans and volvos lying around so it just progressed from there, i always liked the way they ran and it was a good match for the original gas engine in dimensions / rev limits etc. Didn`t take long to fit either, just made an adaptor plate and a front mount - even kept the volvo flywheel using the unimog clutch.
It still needs some work to finish, but it has now taken on the role of a recovery truck for my business ( i run a garage ) and has been really usefull during the recent floods
she didn`t notice the meter deep water and its great (read scary) off-road.
Should still have photos of the build somewhere, I,ll post them soon as. :)

casioqv
02-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Interesting... The junkyards are full of cheap OM617a engines over here (California), but the D24T is extremely rare.

Jason
02-10-2011, 05:40 AM
Hello and welcome! Looks like a cool project. Always nice to see something than the usual suspects (D24Ts in a volvo that is)

Jason