PDA

View Full Version : More Power

Andydonnelly
08-16-2009, 10:16 AM
:confused: I am Buildin a Drift pick up from a estate 940 1995, i am trying to find out how to get more power from my D24T i have presently got a side exit exaust from the down pipe back thats the hight of it... any suggestions would be gratly aprecated..

Thanks
Andy :)

Jason
08-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. The main pump adjustments are covered in the link below in good detail. It is from a dodge cummins diesel site but the pump is the same and the writeup is good. Read the link below on runaway first.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/runaway-does-happen-do-stop-t158962.html?t=158962

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm (http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm)

Take a look at some of the threads on turbo combinations. If you really want to up the power I would get rid of the stock turbo, the compressor side isn't all that efficient and the exhaust side has a restrictive design as well. Adding an intercooler should also be near the top of your to do list. Depending on how far you want to go, next would be head studs so you can really turn up the boost. With a better turbo, intercooler, and correct pump timing you can push an easy 15lbs of boost with the intercooler and the car will be pretty fast.

Check your injection timing as well (not detailed in the cummins write ups) and time it towards the top of the spectrum or maybe a little higher. I would shoot for .90 to 1.0mm.

With a larger turbo I would step up the downpipe as well, to 2.5". The factory air filter is good size, but you can open the box up a bit by removing the intake baffle that goes into the fender, and "swiss cheesing" the front of the box behind the headlight for more air flow potential.

Jason

Andydonnelly
08-20-2009, 04:32 AM
gud gud :) were can i get these parts ; turbo ect.... whats the biggest turbo that will fit it? would you know were i could get adj shocks and lowering springs?

Thanks

Jason
08-20-2009, 06:04 AM
There are a few places that sell shocks/springs/sway bars, I think IPD is one of them, and there may be others, I haven't really looked into that stuff yet. If no one else chimes in check over at turbobricks.com, there is alot of good info over there and most of those guys have lots of mods to their cars.

Biggest turbo you can fit would be what I did, the T3-T4. While you could fit a bigger if you cut into the frame, a T3-T4 has more potential than our engine can use. Check over on the turbo thread for more info on the sizes and such, I don't want to retype all of it. Only thing I would recomend is a smaller exhaust housing than I used if you went with the hybrid. I would go with a .48 A/R for better all around performance and good spool up at lower RPM. My turbo is a chinese knock off turbo from ebay (though I made it out of a few different turbo pieces I had laying around). All of them I have seen have the larger .63 A/R exhaust housing which like I said is a little large. You will have to modify the oil inlet and modify the waste gate canister to fit as its pretty tight. I have pictures over on that thread.

jason

EvoStevo
08-20-2009, 12:46 PM
There are a few places that sell shocks/springs/sway bars, I think IPD is one of them, and there may be others, I haven't really looked into that stuff yet. If no one else chimes in check over at turbobricks.com, there is alot of good info over there and most of those guys have lots of mods to their cars.

Biggest turbo you can fit would be what I did, the T3-T4. While you could fit a bigger if you cut into the frame, a T3-T4 has more potential than our engine can use. Check over on the turbo thread for more info on the sizes and such, I don't want to retype all of it. Only thing I would recomend is a smaller exhaust housing than I used if you went with the hybrid. I would go with a .48 A/R for better all around performance and good spool up at lower RPM. My turbo is a chinese knock off turbo from ebay (though I made it out of a few different turbo pieces I had laying around). All of them I have seen have the larger .63 A/R exhaust housing which like I said is a little large. You will have to modify the oil inlet and modify the waste gate canister to fit as its pretty tight. I have pictures over on that thread.

jason

When you say a T3/T4 has more potential than our engines can use, what exactly is the limiting factor for the engine? Is it fuel delivery?

cuaz64
08-20-2009, 02:44 PM
When you say a T3/T4 has more potential than our engines can use, what exactly is the limiting factor for the engine? Is it fuel delivery?
Exactly, fuel delivery (and you wallet).

gud gud :) were can i get these parts ; turbo ect.... whats the biggest turbo that will fit it? would you know were i could get adj shocks and lowering springs?

Thanks

Coilovers, sport shocks and related stuff: http://www.trianglesunlimited.com/
Stock replacement parts, and the cheapest (and new) lowering springs: https://ssl.kundenserver.de/www.skandix-usa.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154a8dd14d79c7d/shopdata/index.shopscript
One or two interesting things: http://www.fcpgroton.com/

Jason
08-21-2009, 05:26 AM
Fuel delivery and also just the size of the engine. A large trim T4 compressor housing and matched compressor wheel can push 30lbs of boost into an engine larger than ours. It just has more than enough airflow capacity to satisfy all the air our 2.4 engine can take in. If you had the fuel to go with it, 30lbs of boost would probably blow the pistons through the bottom of the block anyway! They are only gonna hold up to a certain level.

jason

EvoStevo
08-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Fuel delivery and also just the size of the engine. A large trim T4 compressor housing and matched compressor wheel can push 30lbs of boost into an engine larger than ours. It just has more than enough airflow capacity to satisfy all the air our 2.4 engine can take in. If you had the fuel to go with it, 30lbs of boost would probably blow the pistons through the bottom of the block anyway! They are only gonna hold up to a certain level.

jason

Ah, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if engine size was a factor. I always hear people saying that turbos are effectively "displacement replacers." I guess there has to be a limit though.

My goal is to get 180 horsepower and close to 300 lb-ft. of torque using a D24T block, D24 head and cam, T3 .60/.48 turbo and ebay intercooler. I'd need it to be livable day-to-day and still get decent mileage (25+ mpg). Is this realistic?

Jason
08-21-2009, 07:26 PM
I think so, but I would step up to a T3/T4. They are around the same price and the larger T-4 housing won't need to work as hard to push the same boost as the smaller T-3 compressor. Also, at a given boost level the charge temp should be cooler compaired to the smaller T-3. I would love to strap mine to a dyno here but it would be a waste unless I had a manual, the auto would just slip the whole time. I really don't know what kind of power that engine pushes at say 15lbs of intercooled boost along with decent fueling. Stock it was pretty clean burning, low boost and no intercooler and it was what, 104 hp or 110? I forget. Either way, it shouldn't be hard to get to that level. You may need head studs to hold the boost it will take to make 180hp though.

Jason

EvoStevo
08-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah, head studs are definitely in the plan. I've already got most of the parts for my turbo (Garrett T3 off of a Mercedes that I plan to pilfer the turbine housing from and a T3-based Hitachi HT-18 off of an RX7 Turbo that I'll take the compressor housing from). I wish I had known what cars came with T4s from the factory before I bought all these turbo parts. Oh well. Would a T4 compressor wheel help at all or is it the T3 housing itself that's inefficient? I'll make a new thread with pictures of my "junk" turbos tomorrow.

m-reg
08-22-2009, 12:08 AM
quick way to find suspension upgrades -google "volvo shock absorber" there are several volvo parts specilsts (in UKand Ireland sorry or have I got the wrong Dublin)stocking various brands of shocks and lowering kits, I even done abit of research into volvo original accessories,then I remembered the Blues Brothers and clicked on special vehicles but there were no cop shocks! the lowering and handling kits for 900s are no longer stocked but indevidual parts are, but coming in that blue box makes them out of my price range! Jason"s on the ball with his timing setting ,1993 on is .95 smack in the middle. yeh my car suffers jello suspension and poor getaway so this site has got me keen to get my overalls on I might start with a bit of air box cutting.

cuaz64
08-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Well...somebody talk about a drag car in Sweden, equipped with a 250HP D24T. Also, supposedly the stock internal parts can hold up to 400NM.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=122978&highlight=D24TIC

Slobodan
08-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah, head studs are definitely in the plan. I've already got most of the parts for my turbo (Garrett T3 off of a Mercedes that I plan to pilfer the turbine housing from and a T3-based Hitachi HT-18 off of an RX7 Turbo that I'll take the compressor housing from). I wish I had known what cars came with T4s from the factory before I bought all these turbo parts. Oh well. Would a T4 compressor wheel help at all or is it the T3 housing itself that's inefficient? I'll make a new thread with pictures of my "junk" turbos tomorrow.

Dude, I'm running the RX-7 HT-18 Compressor on my turtle-diesel. And I have been planning on getting a Mercedes 300 Turbo Diesel Turbine, they are .48 A/R right?
With the stock D24T turbine its just .36 A/R.

Anyways, The HT-18 seems to be more rightly sized for this engine. Has anyone got any idea of what A/R it is? Looks like a .60 to me. I love how it just howls at 10psi pulling my 240 wagon up the sylvan hill out of portland.

EvoStevo
08-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Dude, I'm running the RX-7 HT-18 Compressor on my turtle-diesel. And I have been planning on getting a Mercedes 300 Turbo Diesel Turbine, they are .48 A/R right?
With the stock D24T turbine its just .36 A/R.

Anyways, The HT-18 seems to be more rightly sized for this engine. Has anyone got any idea of what A/R it is? Looks like a .60 to me. I love how it just howls at 10psi pulling my 240 wagon up the sylvan hill out of portland.

The turbo I got out of a Mercedes has a .48 A/R turbine housing. I have no idea what model it was though. I'm fairly sure that the A/R of the HT-18 is .60 based on what I've read on the net. Apparently there are different versions though, referred to as Series 2, Series 3, etc. (mine was listed as an S2).

So you slapped the RX7 compressor on the stock D24T turbine? How's that working for you?

Slobodan
08-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I also got the HT18-2S Twin Scroll - Doesn't do me any Good to use that turbine though because its non standard.

However, I am enjoying the results from this cross-breeding of turbos. Seems to give me a lower cruising boost level at 70mph. The stock turbo was pushing 7psi cruising 70.. and now its more like 3psi. And when I get busy with this turbo it likes the higher rpms, loves to push air. the engine likes breathing through it better aswell. Louder compressor whine also!

I max boost at 13. Sometime it will get upto 15. I have adjusted the safety over boost valve all the way up too. It now dumps at 16 psi.

I Just now want to free up the exhaust side a bit with the .48 Turbine. I can feel it being choked out. I would probably actually want to see a .63 on there. But I don't want to make another down pipe or rig up some other kind of wastegate system. So I'll just hunt down that mercedes .48...

Josh
08-24-2009, 10:44 PM
When I get some money to do a turbo swap, you're gonna help me >:D Sounds like I'm really missing out with having a completely stock car T_T

I just hit 120k miles today though hehe... probably going to do a 3" pipe from the turbo to the back as soon as I have some money :) If anything it'll sound better!

EDIT

Also... looking on Ebay... most of the turbos there are 50 trim with .63 A/R.... is that too big? o.O seems bigger than the ones you guys are talking about.

Andydonnelly
08-26-2009, 04:20 AM
Had a look on ebay and i found this #
T3 T4 T04E Turbocharger .63 A/R Turbo CIVIC EX B16 New

it says its for a civic will it fit mine or its only $120
what do you reckin?

Jason
08-27-2009, 06:30 AM
The T3/T4 is the way to go, but you need the .48 housing. I wouldn't go with the .63 its a little sluggish below 3000rpm. The .48 will flow plenty for top end, much more than the .36 and especially compaired to the stock .36 which is very restrictive with the waste gate design. Nothing wrong with the T-3 compressor housing, and its not that its inefficient, its just that the T-4 compressor moves more air at a given turbine speed and will do so at a lower charge temp, so why not? If you can find a half blown up T3T4 on ebay or craigslist you can swap the compressor side over to the stock turbo. You will probably have to shave some of the compressor off where the nut seats since the chinese turbo's are all stage 3s and the stocker is a (i think) a stage 2. The shaft is a little shorter but no big deal. Check over at my turbo thread, there are picks of the hybrid I build using the chinese turbo parts and stock center section (so the oil feed and drain would bolt right up). It works great but the ultimate will be the .48 housing. If you watch the videos it spools pretty well with the .63, but it would have a larger power band with the smaller housing without giving up any top end.

Jason

EvoStevo
08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
The T3/T4 is the way to go, but you need the .48 housing. I wouldn't go with the .63 its a little sluggish below 3000rpm. The .48 will flow plenty for top end, much more than the .36 and especially compaired to the stock .36 which is very restrictive with the waste gate design. Nothing wrong with the T-3 compressor housing, and its not that its inefficient, its just that the T-4 compressor moves more air at a given turbine speed and will do so at a lower charge temp, so why not? If you can find a half blown up T3T4 on ebay or craigslist you can swap the compressor side over to the stock turbo. You will probably have to shave some of the compressor off where the nut seats since the chinese turbo's are all stage 3s and the stocker is a (i think) a stage 2. The shaft is a little shorter but no big deal. Check over at my turbo thread, there are picks of the hybrid I build using the chinese turbo parts and stock center section (so the oil feed and drain would bolt right up). It works great but the ultimate will be the .48 housing. If you watch the videos it spools pretty well with the .63, but it would have a larger power band with the smaller housing without giving up any top end.

Jason

So the stock wastegate is restrictive? Uh oh. The turbine housing I have has pretty much the same design as the stock D24T's. Oh well. You can see some pictures of what I have to work with here: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=66

Also, I have another turbo-related question. Would a blow-off valve do anything on a diesel? I only just recently realized that there was no throttle plate (lol).

Jason
08-27-2009, 10:12 AM
No, the blow off valve wont do anything becauase there is no throttle plate to stop the boost if you let off the throttle. There are a few places marketing diesel blow off vavles but I have yet to see any kind of concrete evidence of it needing to be there.

Its not the wastegate iteself that is restrictive, it is plenty big, its the design of the turbine housing itself. Look at the inlet, 2/3rds of the area of the exhaust housing is diverted towards the waste gate. When the waste gate is closed better than half the exhaust is crashing into that dead area of the housing rather than being diverted to the turbine wheel. If you want to stick with a .36 there are housings available but you will have to change to a stage 1 turbine wheel/shaft.

Just my .02

Jason

Slobodan
08-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Lots of good info here! Thanks for contributing everyone!

Jason
08-28-2009, 05:34 AM
I agree, I think we should combine our findings on what turbos will/wont work and I'll make a new thread into a sticky, so it could be sort of a refrence on what to look for if your replacing the stocker... Thoughts?

Jason

EvoStevo
08-28-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree, I think we should combine our findings on what turbos will/wont work and I'll make a new thread into a sticky, so it could be sort of a refrence on what to look for if your replacing the stocker... Thoughts?

Jason

Sounds good. A resource like that would've definitely been helpful to me a couple months ago, lol.

Andydonnelly
09-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I also got the HT18-2S Twin Scroll - Doesn't do me any Good to use that turbine though because its non standard.

However, I am enjoying the results from this cross-breeding of turbos. Seems to give me a lower cruising boost level at 70mph. The stock turbo was pushing 7psi cruising 70.. and now its more like 3psi. And when I get busy with this turbo it likes the higher rpms, loves to push air. the engine likes breathing through it better aswell. Louder compressor whine also!

I max boost at 13. Sometime it will get upto 15. I have adjusted the safety over boost valve all the way up too. It now dumps at 16 psi.

I Just now want to free up the exhaust side a bit with the .48 Turbine. I can feel it being choked out. I would probably actually want to see a .63 on there. But I don't want to make another down pipe or rig up some other kind of wastegate system. So I'll just hunt down that mercedes .48...

Witch mercedes turbo fits???

Can anyone tell me were i can get a T3/T4 turbo .43
i can only find it with .63

Jason
09-01-2009, 04:07 PM
All the chinese ones on ebay are the .63 A/R. You need the .48 A/R of a straight T3. I would search around on craigslist for blown up/half ruined turbos. There are lots of chinese ones out there bought by kids that think they are going to turbocharge their civic over night. If you can find a T3 with the exhaust housing you want, then just buy the T3T4 and swap the exhaust housing over. Or the other way around. Other than the chinese turbos, its hard to find a stage 3 .48 A/R exhaust housing to fit the T3T4 they are selling. You can also get a standard stage 1 T3 likea thunderbird/svo/dodge turbo and swap over the chinese T4 cold side. You will have to shave down the snout of the impeller where the nut seats as the shaft will be a little too short. Even if the turbo is worn, all you need is the exhaust housing and shaft, you can use your center section if the bearings are in better shape (what I did).

Jason