PDA

View Full Version : Tool Rental Program Feeler

casioqv
01-23-2011, 10:37 AM
In my opinion, the biggest obstacle to D24 maintenance is availability of special tools and manuals. Many of these tools are extremely expensive, hard to find, and probably only needed once by D24 owners whom then store them indefinitely without use.

I propose we start a tool rental program modeled after the PeachParts Mercedes forum tool rental: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Basically, owners would list the tools they are willing to rent, and choose their own terms/fees. Generally it would involve a large refundable deposit (sufficient to replace the tool if lost/damaged), shipping fees, and a small fee to compensate the owner for normal wear and tear.

What do you guys think? I own several of the D24 special tools and would be willing to put some in the tool exchange, although I'm a bit reluctant about delicate or easily damaged parts like dial gauges, taps & dies, etc.

Jason
01-24-2011, 05:07 AM
Sounds good to me, I'll make a tool section if there is some interest.

Jason

Volvoist
01-24-2011, 06:26 AM
Sounds good to me, I'll make a tool section if there is some interest.

Jason

I may be in as well. I have quite a few D24/D24T tools of my own. Funny, I was just thinking yesterday about renting out D24/D24T tools with a large deposit. Problem is that some of the D24/D24T tools are NLA, so replacement may be a problem.

casioqv
01-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Problem is that some of the D24/D24T tools are NLA, so replacement may be a problem.

For NLA tools it might be necessary to get an estimate from a machinist what it would take to make the tool from scratch, and use that as the deposit.

Jason
01-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Done. The section is up, under the classifieds section!

Jason

casioqv
01-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks Jason! This will be great.

bryancald
02-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Great idea! When I owned an Audi, I had my VAG-COM (VW/AUDI specific OBDII diagnostic tool) available for use.