PDA

View Full Version : big bore

m-reg
08-16-2009, 02:35 AM
Hi Im not a vw guy, Ive had more to do with volvos and beemers,so if vw hogged out the five cylinder diesel to 2.5 litres (and direct injection)the big question is did they develop the same step for us -a 3 litre six pot?

Jason
08-16-2009, 03:26 AM
Not that I have heard of... Boy that would be a whole other level though wouldn't it? Direct injected straight six from VW, it really would be like a mini Cummins then. The power potential would be out of this word for a car as light as ours (compaired to the trucks anyway).

Jason

m-reg
08-17-2009, 10:23 AM
hey Jason if you get into a manual conversion why not go straight to an m90? late 900 s with d24 used it. and it takes more power than the 240 based boxes and I thinkyou get syncro on reverse as well.

Jason
08-17-2009, 11:19 AM
If I could find one... That would be nice. Its been hard enough to find a M46 or 47 for my car. There are non at the salvage yards around my house.

Jason

cuaz64
08-17-2009, 02:27 PM
If I could find one... That would be nice. Its been hard enough to find a M46 or 47 for my car. There are non at the salvage yards around my house.

Jason

But.....if you want a Diesel M90 you must import it from Europe, the 940TDi (the M90 and D24TIC equipped 940) only was sold in Europe.

Jason
08-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Well that would be why I cant find one around here! I think I'll be good with a m46 or 47. Anything is better than the power wasting auto.

Jason

EvoStevo
08-18-2009, 12:13 PM
But.....if you want a Diesel M90 you must import it from Europe, the 940TDi (the M90 and D24TIC equipped 940) only was sold in Europe.

Was the M90 used in the U.S. at all? I don't think I've ever seen a manual 940 here. Assuming I had access to one, any chance it would bolt up to a 240 diesel M46 bellhousing? What about all the hydraulic clutch parts? Do you think they could be made to work in a 240?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm a transmission and clutch noob.

m-reg
08-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi I never realised they only sent d24 autos to the US, but then I suppose it is the home of the slush box, but it is volvos biggest sales territory so youd think they would have a manual option maybe thats why they were less popular than the gas version. As for m90 in 240 I think that might be a head scratcher as its a totally different casing I dont think any 240 got m90s so if you found a 940 diesel one the block/bellhousing joint would be the wrong angle and the trans tunnel might need a bit of hammer work!over here all late manual 900s had m90s so you can get them for red blocks and white blocks why not greens?(mines a zf22 too) happy hunting.

EvoStevo
08-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi I never realised they only sent d24 autos to the US, but then I suppose it is the home of the slush box, but it is volvos biggest sales territory so youd think they would have a manual option maybe thats why they were less popular than the gas version. As for m90 in 240 I think that might be a head scratcher as its a totally different casing I dont think any 240 got m90s so if you found a 940 diesel one the block/bellhousing joint would be the wrong angle and the trans tunnel might need a bit of hammer work!over here all late manual 900s had m90s so you can get them for red blocks and white blocks why not greens?(mines a zf22 too) happy hunting.

We got D24s with the M46 (like mine). The D24Ts could be had with a manual trans but I think those are pretty rare for some reason. I realized the size difference after seeing this image:
http://www.chesh.co.uk/projectturbor/m90pics/sideview.JPG
M46 on top and M90 on the bottom

Yeah, it looks pretty much impossible.

Jason
08-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Holy crap that M90 looks like it came from a dump truck! Man would that hold some power though. You would have to do an amazing amount of fab work to get that to fit. A decent upgrade from the M46 would be to the M47, from what I understand it is somewhat stronger, and a true 5 speed.

Jason

v8volvo
08-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Jason, from what I understand the M90 would be a bolt-in to your car (that is, if you could find one off a D24T from Europe, rare...)

We never got the M90 in anything in the US; our diesels were always available with manual but only with the M46. The M90 is a beast of a tranny, can hold massive amounts of power and is geared well, but was only ever sold elsewhere, in 940s and 960s.

The M46 is stronger than the M47, though behind a diesel either one should be plenty strong enough. The later M47s are better but early M47s break easily. If you can find a late (Series II) M47, bolt up a D24T bellhousing and get the input shaft sleeve off a D24 or D24T M46 to make it fit the pilot bearing ID correctly, you would have a nice setup, and lighter than the M46 which has the overdrive unit hanging off the back. However, my understanding is that the second gen M47 was only offered in 240s, so you might have a speedo cable hole to plug up (700 series cars read speed off the diff while 200s use a cable off the trans tailshaft), and finding a correct driveshaft to fit the M47 into a 700 body would be tricky since they were very rare (only in non-turbo 8v gas 740s for a couple years in the late 80s-early 90s, and sold in very small numbers). Probably the easiest and safest bet is to just try to find a complete package with M46 and driveshaft from a D24T 700 car.

Jason
08-20-2009, 05:56 AM
I was meaning the later M47, I had heard the early ones were weak as you said. I would throw in a M47 or 46 whichever would come my way really. I am trying to get the M46 for sale on here but my better half is not interested in me spending any money on the car AT ALL. We have a wedding to pay for and so on... Either way, if a M47 would come around I dont think it would be too big a deal to just go to a drive shaft shop and have the front section made to match up to whats already there from the support bearing back. That sort of stuff isn't very expensive and probably easier than finding a 700 driveshaft that came with the M47 like you said. Hell there are almost no volvos around here at the local yards anyway, much less a V-8 M47 700 series! Ya right!

Jason

m-reg
08-20-2009, 10:47 PM
basicly its an 850 gear cluster converted to rear drive so its made to be short but its wide the laygear is beside the mainshaft rather than below it and worst of all the bell housing is not seperate from the main case ,so not the best idea I ever came up with then!

cuaz64
08-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Holy crap that M90 looks like it came from a dump truck! Man would that hold some power though. You would have to do an amazing amount of fab work to get that to fit. A decent upgrade from the M46 would be to the M47, from what I understand it is somewhat stronger, and a true 5 speed.

Jason

Well....the M47 is nothing more than a M46 with a real 5th speed instead a external overdrive, based on that, the M47 holds the same power as the M46. With the M90, almost all is "plug and play" in the 700 series. Here is more info: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=94325

m-reg
08-29-2009, 03:53 PM
front drive volvos with sixes use GM auto box shame not rear drive also, or you could get shift kits and modded converters from hot rod/muscle car shops wonder if beemer guys do them for ZF? talking of hot rod shops ,could scan bellhousing and cut a plate then stuff T5 in there (dont tell the old lady)

Jason
08-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Yes a diesel M90 would be the way to go, but I doubt I'll ever see one here in the states... Oh well its a M46 or 47 for me.

Jason

MRDART
09-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Here in sweden there are a company that makes an adapter to a getrag six speed close ratio gearbox for the gasser cars but there is one problem you have to regear the final drive in the rear axle since the gear ratio of the gearbox is considerably lower than for the m46/47 / m90...
The m 90 is said to have problems with weak synchronization rings
The m46 wich I have is fine but the electrical OD causes a some problems, I will se if an oil change will fix it later this week...
The m47, well it is just weak and doesn´t have so high gear ratio in 5th as one would like.
So out of the volvo gearboxes m90 would be the one to go for...
I am sure there must be adapterplates for gearboxes in the us aswell.

rwd4evr
10-02-2009, 10:58 PM
sorry i'm new to these cars, so i understand the gas and deisel bellhousings are different? i'm looking at a 84 760 d24t auto for pizza service and would enjoy myself alot more if it was manual. any help is appriciated. also how do these motors respond to wvo if done right?

MRDART
10-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Yes bellhousings are totally different since the gasser is a volvo engine and the diesel is vw....

Pizza deliverycar with D24?? I would recomend some other car since these engines are built for long trips... I think you would kill it pretty quick....
vwo yes it works fine but the fuel pump needs to be resealed....
Best regards/ Tommy

v8volvo
10-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Any diesel would prob be OK for delivery driving, as long as you don't turn the engine on and off all the time. Lots of short trips are like one long trip as long as the engine stays warm and running the entire time.

rwd4evr where are you located?