PDA

View Full Version : Eli's 245

Volvoist
12-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Well, I picked up Eli's 245 last night. Got home around 1AM... what a long night, haha! I hooked up the injector lines and the car started rather easily I must say. It smokes like a champ though. It also missed pretty badly. #2 cylinder is dead. If I loosen the injectors, there is a change in all but #2. Surprisingly there is almost zero blowby. I was shocked. Could it be the rings are bad on #2? I would think that if that were the case, there would be some amount of blowby. It has a reman (or new, I forget) D24T head that was modified to work on the D24. It starts easily cold or hot it seems. I ran it into town and back and heated it up, no change in how it runs or in the amount of blowby. I am stumpped.

Jason
12-24-2010, 04:49 AM
Do a compression test on that cylinder and see what you get. There has to be some blow by from the dead cylinder if the rings are doing nothing. However it could be an injector problem, or a leaking valve. It would have to be leaking very badly though. Suprising that the cylinder wouldn't catch even after warmed up or in the upper RPMs. The engine that I rebuilt that came out of Alex's '85 had a dead cylinder, it wouldn't register any compression on my gauge. That was the one with all the rings but the oil ring broke. Even then, the cylinder would fire once you got the engine up to about 3k rpms and smooth out. It still smoked, but it ran suprisingly well in the upper rpms. That engine chugged white smoke blow by from the crank case vent like a steam locomotive! I would suspect an injector problem if it doesn't fire at all, unless there is a hole in the piston or something extreme.

Jason

Volvoist
12-24-2010, 05:06 AM
Do a compression test on that cylinder and see what you get. There has to be some blow by from the dead cylinder if the rings are doing nothing. However it could be an injector problem, or a leaking valve. It would have to be leaking very badly though. Suprising that the cylinder wouldn't catch even after warmed up or in the upper RPMs. The engine that I rebuilt that came out of Alex's '85 had a dead cylinder, it wouldn't register any compression on my gauge. That was the one with all the rings but the oil ring broke. Even then, the cylinder would fire once you got the engine up to about 3k rpms and smooth out. It still smoked, but it ran suprisingly well in the upper rpms. That engine chugged white smoke blow by from the crank case vent like a steam locomotive! I would suspect an injector problem if it doesn't fire at all, unless there is a hole in the piston or something extreme.

Jason

I will need to buy a compression gauge and I will have to check it. Eli did at some point and said #1 and #2 registered 190psi, however, #1 is firing just fine, #2 is not. There definatly is no blowby. I ran it for about 30 mins yesterday and the oil was hot, I pulled the dipstick, no smoke. I pulled the oil cap, there was almost no smoke there. I was shocked to see this as I figured it would be flat worn. If it were a hole in the piston, would I not get some amount of blowby or crankcase pressure? I am leaning towards an injector or a valve issue, but without pulling the head, I can't really tell if it is a valve issue. Warmed up makes absolutely zero difference. Even at upper RPM's, it still is running on 5 cylinders, and that sixth (#2) will not catch.

Jason
12-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Ahh... There probably is blow by, you need to pull the crankcase vent and see whats blasting out of the hose, with the oil cap on. With the oil cap off it wont push much out since the crankcase vent is still hooked to the intake which vacumes it out while running. If Eli said 190psi I would take his word for it, he seamed to know his way around these cars. The cylinder that isn't firing may have a combination of low compression and an injector problem.

Jason

Volvoist
12-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Ahh... There probably is blow by, you need to pull the crankcase vent and see whats blasting out of the hose, with the oil cap on. With the oil cap off it wont push much out since the crankcase vent is still hooked to the intake which vacumes it out while running. If Eli said 190psi I would take his word for it, he seamed to know his way around these cars. The cylinder that isn't firing may have a combination of low compression and an injector problem.

Jason
I forgot to say, there is some with that hose off, but VERY little. I have seen more in a "low mileage, well maintained" D24 engine than this thing has. I am very surprised. I am going to try another injector possibly next week if I can get to my parts motor this week. Looks like I will be rebuilding one D24, may be two now.

Jason
12-24-2010, 05:33 PM
The only other thing to do would be check the valve clearence... If it was a new head, the valves would have to seat in and cold be tight. If they are hanging open that could do it, and you wouldn't have blow by.

Jason