PDA

View Full Version : Piston rings

volvo-express
12-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi everyone,

What sise piston rings goes on the D24tic 1991? are they the same as the VW 1.6 or the 1.9 diesel? I have bought a very low milage head for mine and thinking of replacing the rings on all the pistons.

What sise are the rings?
Should i use the over sised rings? - milage on the car is 119K

Thanks

Jason
12-10-2010, 04:46 AM
The piston rings are the same as found in a 1.6 vw diesel. However, replacing the rings is pretty much a total rebuild, as your going to have to take the engine out to drop the oil pan and get the rods and pistons out. Changing out the head is easily done in the car. I wouldn't expect it to need rings at just over 100k miles unless it has been abused and not had regular oil changes. Have you done a compression test?

Jason

volvo-express
12-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Jason,

Well i should of taken the compression test before I took the head off.......
I was thinking while i have the head off im just as well taking the engine out and putting new liners and rings but if it dosnt worrent it at 100K its not worth doing. Maybe when i see the first hint of blue smoke........

Jason
12-11-2010, 04:26 AM
I would expect it should have alot of life left at around 100k. If they aren't very worn, and you run a good synthetic oil, they aren't going to wear any more than they already are as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

Jason

v8volvo
12-20-2010, 11:05 PM
I would expect it should have alot of life left at around 100k. If they aren't very worn, and you run a good synthetic oil, they aren't going to wear any more than they already are as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

Jason

+1, agree, this isn't like in a VW where if you have the head off, you can pop the pan off in 10 minutes and do a quick hone and set of rings to freshen the engine up... doing rings in one of these is a much bigger deal and if there's no reason to get into it, you may as well leave it alone. I have seen them worn out with low mileages like that before, but if it was taken care of at all then 119k it should still be pretty stout, and if you care for it it will go a long time yet before rings become an issue.

I have one that was completely shot by 150k, but it was owned by a lady who lived at the bottom of one of the biggest hills in town and, every morning, would get in the car, start it up, and immediately drive it up this hill at full throttle with a stone cold engine. 150k of that will wreck it pretty good, and this car got to the point by the time I pulled it apart at 157k where it would not start at all... But as long as yours didn't see that kind of abuse, 119k should still be young in its life and it ought to be fine for a long time.

DieselScout
12-08-2022, 05:24 PM
How do Deves Rings compare to the rings that come with piston kits from KS, Mahle, etc...?