PDA

View Full Version : Picton deck height tool

Volvoist
12-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Does anyone have a piston deck height tool? I had one but cannot find it and they seem to be NLA from SPX/Rotunda/Volvo.
**EDIT: I mispelled PISTON, oops. Its been one of those days!**

Jason
12-08-2010, 09:23 AM
A good set of calipers will do the job, as will a depth micrometer. I don't know of anyone selling the volvo/vw tool.

Jason

Volvoist
12-08-2010, 10:44 AM
I was thinking of a depth micometer on a magnetic stand with a good dial indicator. I was *thinking* of doing the HG on my 82 244 for the heck of it and I wanted to go with the thinnest gasket I could and squeeze an extra horse or two out of it, lol. I put a 1 notch steel gasket on my 80 264 when I had it, well Tom Bryant did it for me up in Maine about 5 or 6 years ago.

heavyequipment
12-13-2010, 11:43 AM
My piston height indicator is a piece of keystock, 1" X 1-/2" by about 8" long. I drilled a hole in one end and tapped it for a 5/16" capscrew that I cut the head off. I mount a dial indicator on the stud using a regular dial indicator clamp and adjust it so it hits the block and has enough stroke to slide up on the piston, with the keystock lying on the 1" side on the block. First, I place the dial indicator on the highest surface on top of the piston, and use it to find the highest point of the stroke. Then take a reading, and then slide it off onto the block, take another reading, and do the math to find the difference. I originally made the tool for measuring liner protrusion on Cummins diesels. Now that I'm retired, I'm glad I still have it.

Volvoist
12-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the info! I may try to build myself one of these.