PDA

View Full Version : steel brake lines

lmwatbullrun
11-13-2010, 02:24 PM
I've been trying to unscrew an old brake hose on my 740 so I can change the caliper. After the problems I had with the right side hose/line attachment, I soaked the connections in penetrating oil for a couple of days.

One came right off, no problem at all.

The other is being exceedingly recalcitrant, even after Kroil. :( The wrench rounded the copper/brass nut, :mad: so I went to locking pliers, which I had to do on the right side. Unlike the right, this nut sneered at the locking pliers and proceeded to crumble. Right now, I have about 2/3 of a nut, and the darned thing still is not apart.

I suspect that separation of the steel line and the hose will require completing the destruction process I have started. Never having destroyed a brake line like this, what do people suggest? Get a flaring tool and some line and fittings and make up my own replacement, or does Volvo sell a reasonably priced replacement?

One possibility is using one of the parts cars, but I suspect I may have the same problem there.

Any suggestions?

ngoma
11-13-2010, 07:12 PM
What about checking the Junkyard? I have found 740's somethat plentiful at the JY. At least the gassers. Brake line should be the same for the diesel.

lmwatbullrun
11-15-2010, 01:53 AM
Could go to the yard; how late did the 740 lines stay the same?

ngoma
11-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Sorry, I don't know the years/similarities. Could you take some photos of yours, bring the photos to a yard that has some 740's and compare to find suitable replacement?