PDA

View Full Version : Propane injection

hvguy
11-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Since I doubt 35-40PSI boost "which is what im shooting for when I rebuild my head gasket" will get me the HP im looking for... I plan on re-grinding a camshaft to 277 max duration and building a propane injection kit.

Has anybody had any luck with this? if so, what pressures were you running and where did you inject it?

Im going to forecast my engine running REALLY hot, so Im going to cut out the front firewall and fit a BIG radiator I salvaged from a BIG 100 watt surgical laser that my company deals in... they measure 28wX14hX6d

http://i54.tinypic.com/52mx4.jpg

hvguy
11-09-2010, 10:21 PM
More food for thought... ive been reading around and some people are saying propane is good for about 20-40hp TOPS "without knocking"..... here is a quote from a website ive been reading up on... some guys having a pissing match about this lol.

QUOTE:
Propane has a lower flash point, but higher autoignition. What this means is that propane can burn and continue to burn at lower temperatures than diesel, but ignites without a spark at higher temperatures than diesel. END QUOTE:

If this is true.... The typical combustion pressure in a diesel engine is roughly 470PSI... and propane liquifies at 160psi lol... so it sounds like the propane is injected, compressed to a liquid, the diesel is injected and detonates which will then burn the propane?

Oh man, this looks like uncharted territory.

Jason
11-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Moved this to performance section...

As for propane??!! No comment lol

Jason

nick
11-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Check out this graph. At atmospheric pressure (1 atm) propane boils at -42.1 degrees C. At 32 atm (~470 psi), propane boils at 77 degrees C (170.3 degrees F). The propane will definitely be a vapor at 470 psi because the combustion chamber will be well above 170.3 degrees F.

http://encyclopedia.airliquide.com/images_encyclopedie/VaporPressureGraph/Propane_Vapor_Pressure.GIF

VolvoForLife!
07-13-2011, 12:39 AM
The propane needs to be a vapor BEFORE its injected. Otherwise you'll get liquid pools = BOOM.