PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

markbos4
10-10-2010, 03:39 AM
Hello Everyone,
I'm new here. Never knew there was a site dedicated to the great D24 engine, wunderful. I've owned 3 volvo's with this engine, a '90 740 GLE, a '91 940 GL, and now a '85 740 GLE. The '85 is in bad shape, the body is rotten and the engine is also almost dead. I'm rebuilding the engine and repairing the rust on the body. The engine is completely disassembled, the cilinders are already honed. The engine was rebuild before, as there are oversized pistons and oversized bearings for the crankshaft in it. The pistons are in good shape, no signs of wear, they are going back in with new rings. Crankshaft is also looking fine, it's been grinded to the first undersize although i've read somewhere that grinding the crankshat isn't a good idea?? Little bit strange, because the manual gives up to 3 undersizes for grinding and bearings are also deliverable...

Mark

Jason
10-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Welcome.
I don't see the problem with grinding the crank, I think its more an issue of finding a shop that can do it right. Like the older crankshafts from VW, the D24 is a true forged crank. Grinding off 10 thousands isn't going to comprimise strength, or change how it wears assuming its done right.

Post up some pictures of your project in the garage section!

Jason