PDA

View Full Version : Hood flew up, bending the hinges

ngoma
10-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Hood flew up on my 740 while driving, bending the hinges. I found a straight set from a gasser at the JY but now wonder if I need to swap the springs because the diesel has a lighter aluminum hood. anybody know if the hood hinge springs are different between the diesel and gasser 740?

Jason
10-04-2010, 12:52 PM
I have yet to see a alum hood on a diesel. Everyone says they have alum hoods, but none of my cars or friends cars have had one. The springs are also adjustable on my car, as in where you hook them for more or less tension.

Jason

ngoma
10-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Presuming mine is aluminum; a magnet does not stick to it. Maybe the ones you have seen have had the hoods replaced from collision damage?
Anyway, I swapped the springs because a quick visual showed the ones on the JY hinges were thicker gauge.

hvguy
10-09-2010, 01:24 PM
pics of the damage? lol,

ngoma
10-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Nothing exciting to see, trailing edges of the hood bent slightly, some scratches on the windshield cowl, bentup hinges. Hinges already in the recycle bin, everything else smoothed out. What I can't figure out is how the hood sprung the second (safety) latch.