PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Shop that works on D24 near Temecula, Ca

bryancald
09-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Hi,

I'm getting close to a valve adjustment and want to compare what a shop would charge vs. buying the tools and shims to do the job myself.

I eventually will do it, but not sure if I have the time right now.

What shops still work on D24's in the San Diego/Riverside area?

Thanks,
Bryan

Jason
09-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Cant help you with a recomendation, but I would at least check the valves yourself. You may find they don't even need adjustment, or only one or two need it. Its really not too hard to do, and only really "special" tool you'll need is the shim carrier depressing tool that pushes the lifter down so you can get the shim out. Otherwise just a feeler gauge set. You can get the valve shims pretty cheap and if you check your vavles first, you can just order the sizes you need ahead of time, unless they are way out or really tight like the valve is hanging open. If nothing else, if you just check them at least you'll know how many valves need to be adjusted so you can tell the shop thats doing the work and maybe get a better estimate if they are charging per hour or something.

Jason

RLDSL
11-06-2010, 11:34 AM
If you haven't already got this done, any VW shop should be able to handle this job and will have shims in stock to fit the thing. D24 shims are the same as VW shims, they interchange with some gassers as well. Only thing they would have to order is a valve cover gasket and if it has a rubber one, it can likely be reused.