PDA

View Full Version : Bigger cams

hvguy
09-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Back in the day, i bought an aftermarket cam for my toyota 4ac gasser engine. It was a night and day difference... after parting ways with that project; i came across a new project but the company i purchased my original cam from did not make a cam however they said they could re-grind pretty much anything to at least 277 duration.....

does anyone know if there will be any issues with valve clearance?

PS: a rule of thumb when putting a cam in a turbo vehicle: never go bigger than 272..... the overlap becomes too big and the turbo starts to blow through the engine and becomes inefficient =(

btw, the company is schneider cams

hvguy
09-16-2010, 11:48 PM
here is the link to the re-grind form.... ill probably rob a head from a local junkyard... or the whole engine depending on price and send them that cam so i can keep abusing my engine while they take their time =)

http://schneidercams.com/regrinds.aspx

Jason
09-17-2010, 04:24 AM
There was a guy on vwdiesel.net that was regrinding the 1.6 cams and said he had done a couple d24 cams. I don't know what the specs were, but you could get a little more duration and lift. The difference wasn't huge though, more of the mindset that every little bit helps. A larger cam doesn't make the power difference on a diesel engine that you get with a gas engine, because with the diesel its only alowing air to enter then engine, and has no effect on fuel delivery. You can always just stuff more air in with more boost. Since fuel is the name of the game, and the cam doesn't help in the regard, there just isn't a ton of extra power to wake up there. You usually only see the totally built pulling trucks running bigger cams like in the cummins engines. There are plenty of those guys running stock cams and making double and triple stock hp. If it isn't too expensive, I would say go for it. Just remember they can only do a little since the smaller base circle is going to affect the valve adjustment, and shims are only available up to a certain thickness. If you get too small you may not be able to get the valves within spec.

Jason

hvguy
09-17-2010, 11:18 PM
There was a guy on vwdiesel.net that was regrinding the 1.6 cams and said he had done a couple d24 cams. I don't know what the specs were, but you could get a little more duration and lift. The difference wasn't huge though, more of the mindset that every little bit helps. A larger cam doesn't make the power difference on a diesel engine that you get with a gas engine, because with the diesel its only alowing air to enter then engine, and has no effect on fuel delivery. You can always just stuff more air in with more boost. Since fuel is the name of the game, and the cam doesn't help in the regard, there just isn't a ton of extra power to wake up there. You usually only see the totally built pulling trucks running bigger cams like in the cummins engines. There are plenty of those guys running stock cams and making double and triple stock hp. If it isn't too expensive, I would say go for it. Just remember they can only do a little since the smaller base circle is going to affect the valve adjustment, and shims are only available up to a certain thickness. If you get too small you may not be able to get the valves within spec.

Jason

fml, goddamn shims.

totally forgot this is a direct-tappet "i think thats what its called" valve train.

there is a machine shop that is building some parts for the shop im working at, maybe they can machine what i need.... ill have to consult them about this before taking the leap.

worst thing's worst: ill just have to resort to my old cam in a box somewhere =)

ill see if I can find this guy you speak of.

hvguy
09-17-2010, 11:21 PM
ugh, nvm, the site was hacked.... fml, i never get a break.