PDA

View Full Version : D24 power steering holding bracket needed

SRHeer
07-28-2010, 12:13 PM
My 84 Volvo 240 with D24 needs the power steering bracket that mounts onto engine block and holds the power steering pump - mine is cracked and will not hold power steering pump - thanks - any suggestions of others or yards that may have to locate such will be appreciated - Stephen - 832-816-1282 - Houston TX

stephenheer@sbcglobal.net

lmwatbullrun
11-15-2010, 04:53 PM
I may be persuaded to part with one of the two spares I have. PM me if you are still interested.

smokeswagen
11-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Most of those I've seen break at the small bolt boss the sticks off near the water pump. I MIG-ed mine- 5356 alloy wire and 75% helium/25% argon shield gas; multiple passes on both sides and don't level the bead afterwards.

v8volvo
11-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Yep, that's where they always break.

D24 and D24T P/S brackets *are* different -- the D24 ones are much more prone to breakage, but you can't use a D24T one on a 240 because the upper rad hose on the 240 needs to go across the bracket in a spot where there is a gusset on the D24T bracket. To the OP, you'll need to make sure whatever bracket you get comes not just off any Volvo diesel, but off a non-turbo diesel as found in a 240. Something from a 700-series turbodiesel motor won't work unless you modify the upper rad hose somehow.

Having it welded may be your best option, though the welder needs to be careful to get it back together exactly right because if he gets it wrong it won't bolt up properly.

The way the brackets break is from being installed in a stressed position and then either having a bolt tightened down on them, or from vibration under stress. You can prevent it from breaking next time by using the following method: install bolts through bracket into head, and also bolt from bracket, through water pump, into block. Make sure your timing belt tension (water pump position) is set where you want it already, or if you didn't mess with it, don't change it. Slowly tighten all four bolts EVENLY. Do not first tighten the bolt through the water pump, then the three at the head, and also don't do vice-versa. Do them all very gradually so everything finds a position it wants to be in, then your bracket will last.