PDA

View Full Version : Mating N/A D24 oil pan to D24T

EvoStevo
07-15-2009, 12:07 PM
I wanted to see if anyone has done it before and what all is involved.

EvoStevo
08-18-2009, 12:47 PM
So most parts catalogs list the same oil pan gasket part number for both the D24 and D24T. Does that mean there won't be any issues?

v8volvo
08-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Not necessarily, it just means the shape of the bottom of the block where the pan mates up is the same. That tells you the pan will bolt on. However, my understanding is that there are a few other issues... I think the main one is the arrangement of the dipstick, which enters through the side of the pan on the D24 and goes through the bottom of the block on the D24T, or perhaps the other way around, I'm not sure. I'll compare my D24 to my D24T next time I'm under the hood and report back about what the difference is.

I would guess it can be done without much trouble -- I'm sure people have done it, I think there is a guy on Turbobricks who did -- but you might end up with either no dipstick or two dipsticks. :p So it will take a little more work than just bolting it on if you want it to be right.

Jason
08-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Someone on here has a 2 series car with a D24t, I cant remember who though. Obviously they would have done it. I'm 99% sure my dipstick goes through the block. Not sure on the D24, I've never seen or had one!

Jason

volvo d6
08-20-2009, 06:04 AM
The aluminum d24 pan fits on d24t. i did this when i fitted a vw lt turbo engine in my stock 245 diesel. The oil stick is bolted to the pump an you just have the stick in original place. The oil from turbo takes a half an hour to make:) Fun with lots of boost and good turned pump:cool::D

77volvo245
08-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Someone on here has a 2 series car with a D24t, I cant remember who though. Obviously they would have done it. I'm 99% sure my dipstick goes through the block. Not sure on the D24, I've never seen or had one!

Jason

That is Kevin (Slobodan) he had to mod his cross member in order to fit the turbo oil pan.

piper109
12-23-2009, 09:01 AM
The aluminum d24 pan fits on d24t. i did this when i fitted a vw lt turbo engine in my stock 245 diesel. The oil stick is bolted to the pump an you just have the stick in original place. The oil from turbo takes a half an hour to make:) Fun with lots of boost and good turned pump:cool::D

You have to be very careful providing the turbo an oil return to get back into the oil pan. Drilling and tapping the pan for a suitable hydraulic fitting should work. Its just a dribble line so no pressure or high flow to deal with.

I think that is the biggest inconvenient of the oil pan swap.

If you can deal with the different engine angle, the return line is a piece of cake.

Steve

volvo d6
12-23-2009, 01:19 PM
I drove to the local plumber and bought a "thing" with the same dia as the return pipe and cutted the original return pipe and fitted it together. Easy as hell! I maybe make a picture tomorow;)

jbg
12-23-2009, 05:54 PM
I maybe make a picture tomorow;)

Please do!

Eli
12-31-2009, 12:18 PM
The D24/D24T oil pans are interchangeable as far as the block is concerned. The dipsticks are mounted in different places, the D24 through the pan, and the D24T through the block. Thus a D24T block and D24 pan you will end up with two dipstick holes. The D24T pan will not fit in a 200 series without modification, due to the oil reservoir's being different shapes, and the D24T pan reservoir sitting too far forward.

I would guess it can be done without much trouble -- I'm sure people have done it, I think there is a guy on Turbobricks who did -- but you might end up with either no dipstick or two dipsticks. :p So it will take a little more work than just bolting it on if you want it to be right.

I am probably the guy on Turbobricks you are referring to. My pan was pre-modified by the previous owner before I purchased the car.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z290/EliMailey/IMG_1317.jpg

This is the turbo oil drain line cut from a D24T pan, and welded into a D24 pan. In my opinion this is the cleanest way to make the swap. Although it requires both a D24 and D24T pan. Doing it this way on a D24T block you do end up with two dipstick holes, only one of which actually works. I just blocked the other one off.

I hope this info helps!

-Eli