PDA

View Full Version : Non-stock turbos?

SuperTurboD24T
06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
I just wanted to see if anyone is using a turbo that is something other than the stock fitment TA0304 Garrett. Perhaps, something more modern, larger, of the VGT type, etc.

cuaz64
06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, the most popular upgrade that has see is the Garrett T3/T4 hybrid, being the T3 Turbine/center section+T4 compressor the easiest (and cheapest) option.

Jason
06-15-2009, 02:18 PM
I was thinking a Straight T-3 or a mild trim T3/T4...Is the stock garrett a T-3 exhaust flange?

Jason

cuaz64
06-15-2009, 03:10 PM
I was thinking a Straight T-3 or a mild trim T3/T4...Is the stock garrett a T-3 exhaust flange?

Jason

I think so.

SuperTurboD24T
06-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Yes, the stock manifold has a t3 flange, which makes things very easy for upgrades.

The stock turbo is good for about 25 psi with an intercooler and a low restriction exhaust system. Above that boost, the drive pressure is simply too high, and you will begin to get a loss of power. That actually occurs at ~28psi, so a margin of -3 psi will be proper.

The compressor maps for the stock turbo are wrong as well, if you should ever come across them.

Jason
06-16-2009, 09:37 AM
So is it not worth upgrading the stock turbo to another turbo if your running less than 25lbs? I think I would be happy with 15!

Jason

Slobodan
06-16-2009, 08:11 PM
How the hell can the stock .36/.42 be capable of 25psi without superduper heating the air or just plain exploding??

Jason
06-17-2009, 06:19 AM
I was thinking 25lbs seemed to be a bit much for that turbo, but I have never tried to push that kind of boost out of one so I wasn't going to say its not possible...

Jason

SuperTurboD24T
06-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Easily :). The compressor is capable of more pressure in fact, and as long as you have an intercooler, even the factory one, you will be ok. Of course, an intercooler with greater capacity will be even better in terms of flow and delta T reduction.

SuperTurboD24T
06-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Jason, it is not so much the pressure in psi, but more of how much power you are happy with. 25 psi on a the stock turbo is != 25psi on a larger turbo, as you might already know. These engines are extremely strong, and will take the pressure just fine. Provided the HG is not already leaking that is, but that nearly goes without writing for any engine.

If you are happy with the power at 25 psi, then no, you will not need to upgrade.

Slobodan
06-17-2010, 10:49 AM
On with my findings. the Stock T3 seems pretty good all rounded Turbo for daily driving. I feel that by best turbo setup has been the stock exhaust side and center with the HT18 compressor from the Turbo RX7. right now, Six months with the T3/T4 .50/.63 Its WAY laggy.. I thought I would be okay with it. Sometimes, its fine... and other times its just too doggy. on the freeway at about 70mph its okay. really the upper end of power is better.. but its suffering eveywhere else. my milage has improved. but Its not worth the lag I am realizing.

My rear end is getting worn out. spidergears making lots of noise. its a 3.73:1 I'll be swapping in a 100k rear axl with 3.54:1 And I'll be installing a more stock ish exhaust the 3" side exit is WAY to loud! can't stand it. So I do believe I will be headed back to stock turbo until I find away to mount up a Mitsu TD04 - 14G or TD05 - 12A. I think I would want to experiment with mitsu turbo. smaller and quicker spooling.

How do others feel about this?

Jason
06-17-2010, 04:08 PM
I still think the utimate in driveability would be a T3/T4 with a .48 exhaust housing... They do come configured that way, but they have a huge compressor housing that would probably be more than you need. You would have to buy a straight T3 (ebay one) and swap on the T4 compressor stuff. Even the straight .48 ar T3 would probably perform similiar to what you had with the stocker and other compressor housing, but I would bet it would pull stronger up top... The .36 a/r exhaust housing gets restrictive...

The spool could be better I agree, but I was thinking part of my lag is that my engine is half worn out!

Jason

Slobodan
06-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Hmmhmhm.
The wheel on the stock D24T Garrett Turbo unit is larger than the gasser Volvo stock unit. Jason, do you know of any websites that have solid good garrett sizing info/specs? I've got a couple turbos laying around, Garrett, BorgWarner, and mistu laying around.

I used to have Mitsubishi Starion with the G54BT engine, it used a TD05 - 12A
That turbo was very blistering quick for boost. 7psi was stock... non intercooled. and 14psi was max for Intercooler version. but man that turbo just was So quick. And people have put 16g compressor wheels in the 12A housing. for an easy upgrade.

I think I want to try the TD04 - 14G out on my D24T. the oil inlet is the same banjo bolt setup. but the drain will have to be fabricated. shouldn't be too hard.

this turbo came off a Volvo '04 Cross Country with 120k on it. that engine produced around 230hp.

But the TD05 has better exhaust flow and I feel its spooling power was fine as proven on the G54BT... 2.6l. hmmm... yeah... just from feel.. the Volvo 740's some use TD05 and the later ones used the TD04.. on a 2.3l engine the TD05 was a little lazier at spool up. So perhaps the TD04 would be perfect.

lmwatbullrun
06-29-2010, 05:38 PM
I have a parts car with a stock turbo. Was thinking about rebuilding it for a good spare; anyone have a source for parts? (bearings, etc?)

Jason
06-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Only place I know of that has parts for the stocker is G-pop shop. Ya I know, stupid name but they know their turbo stuff. You'll have to search the web for their address, I don't know it off hand.

Jason

lmwatbullrun
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
http://www.gpopshop.com/garrettt3kits.html

That would seem to be the place.

hvguy
07-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I put a garrett... something or another on my homemade built Frankenstein....

Im thinking its a little on the big side... seeing as that it barely boosts 5psi at the top of 1st gear... but is fully boosted to 30psi+ at the middle of 2nd... unfortunately i think I stretched my head bolts and blew a HG... so I could only do minor testing and got just a few videos...btw, it doesnt have a wastegate... and i remember it saying AR 48 on the compressor housing... plus it came off of a generator with a perkins engine... im sure google will straighten this all out

If you want a big turbo... just build a sequential setup... 2's always better than 1....

although im not sure if the oil system will be able to handle 2 accessory's... especially with an NA engine... or maybe there isnt a difference between the 2 pumps..

who knows.

:mine
http://i50.tinypic.com/fp8fhy.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/ztaepx.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/24yocgi.jpg

UPDATE: after 2 mins of google work i found out the turbo came from a inline 6 diesel engine, 6000CC turbo model GT3267